Axolotl Gender

M

mik

14175.jpg

14176.jpg

sorry did't come back here for a couple of days. Yeah the male is the lower picture...Thx Mitch

What balls !!!!!!!!
Incredible !!!!
"MACHO-LOTL" is the right expression for it .

smile9.gif

1. I like the Dr.'s sense of humor.

2. Those are two different axos' right? It seems like everyone assuming that they are the same animal, but you've insinuated that the top pictures is a female and the lower picture is a male?

At any rate! Thank you very much for these defining pictures!
Sharon

Sorry everyone should have made it clear. The top picture is Arwen the female she is two years old and measures 300mm nose to tail tip.

The lower picture is tweak (male) who is also 2 years old also 300mm nose to tail tip.

As far as I know they are not related but I beleve both to ax/ax as well d/d due to their pale yellow colouring. Strhangley though Arwen is knid of translucent effect skin whilst Tweaks is very solid creamy texture. I find the variation among the similar genotypes quite fascinating. Futher pictures of Tweak and Arwen are on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/axolotl_list/.

I also intend to post pics of two melanoids genitalia when I get time. regards

18125.jpg

Ok I tried to get a good piccy of these two melanoids sexy bits but they are so dark it's hard to get it right. Paris if you are out there I could use a photo-taking-tip.

Anyway, here is a good example of how fat bodied a female is compares to a male of the same age.

Hope this helps others a lttle more in determining gender of the beloveds.

mik, my male is kinda chubby - verging on a similar size to your female, though he's definitely a male. though his girth is more towards his head, and i think females are rounder towards the abdomen, right?

subtle observation, but i think i'd go with that. Perhaps you could post a piccy to demonstrate?

Do male axolotls grow those balls as they get older and sexually mature?
(I'm referring to the picture of mik's male axolotl)

This is called a cloaca, and yes, most males develop a swollen cloaca.

Does it develop from a single luimp or two separate lumps?

It looks like two lumps, my wild type male was very noticably male from approx 6 months . The females are less co-operative in letting on which sex they are as some of the males cloaca are relatively small and look initially to be female. The only way I confirmed that I had a female is when she layed eggs...one day her toe tips ( she was albino) went slightly grey and the next she was laying. I have some 5 month juveniles and I am sure that I can see one male , but time will confirm my suspicions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back