Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Emergency! Prolapse of the cloaca?

newtsrfun

Reaction score
I just noticed this- Never seen it happen inreal life- picture in CC was hard to compare to.

This guy is in terrible shape- his skin is just falling off in places. Hates the salt baths, gets pale in them, and when I put him in the main tank to get a break from all the treatments while I cleaned the hopital tank, he got chewed up again! now back in the hospital, he is just not healing up that great. Thankfully still eating.

but the possible prolapse, thats a major concern right now. (second picture cloaca not pictured, notice skin on foot)

Attachments

• axclc1.JPG
    axclc1.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,304
  • axcal2.JPG
    axcal2.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 681

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a prolapse. I don't see any protuberance. My guess would be that the cloaca is swollen with secondary infection from the nearby limb wounds. Looks bad.

Good luck.

Jake

Reaction score
My guess would be that the cloaca is swollen with secondary infection from the nearby limb wounds. Looks bad.

Good luck.
I agree, that's a pretty nasty infection it's got going on it's leg. How much salt per water volume are you putting in the salt baths? They are normally pretty tolerant of salt baths for me.

Keep it cool, and in very clean water.

newtsrfun

Reaction score
Well, he was being treated with a low concentration salt solution for 24 hours a day, which useally works just fine in preventing infection. But for some reason, he really freaked out when I gave him a high concentration salt bath last week, he started rolling and rolling and a pulled him out right away. I changed out all the water, and tried a low salt content again, and then just clean water for a few days after he seemed a bit better, and then salt again, and thats when he started to lose coloration, so I had to stick him back in the main tank, then he got bit again, and that one got infected, and now its back to medium salt, and I will give him breaks in the second hospital tank with just water and a tiny bit of salt between higher concentration baths, which are about 2-2.5 teaspoons per liter, which I am going to try to keep him in as long as I can.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!