Color change in Cynops orientalis

lunarisplendere

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there. I've had a chinese firebelly for almost two years now. I just got another one two weeks ago. When I got him, he was black in color but now he is beginnig to change to a greyish color. He is eating well, is active (as active as newts get anyway :rolleyes: hehe), and gives me no reason to think he is ill. He looks like the grey speckled chinese firebelly in the caudata culture article about cynops orientalis. Here's the link: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

Is this color change normal? Should I be worried at all?

Thanks.

AW: color change in cynops orientalis

Don't worry. Its perfectly normal for this species.

Re: color change in cynops orientalis

Thanks a lot for the response. That's a relief to hear. Out of curiousity, what causes the change? Is it to blend into the environment better perhaps? I do have white sand in there.

Thanks a lot for the response. That's a relief to hear. Out of curiousity, what causes the change? Is it to blend into the environment better perhaps? I do have white sand in there.

I doubt its for camoflage. I dont think anyone actualy knows why they change, but some will periodicaly lighten in colour over the course of their lives, it varies individual to individual. I've kept quite a few CO's and it can often be observed in a lone individual of a particular sex, a new introduction to a group or an animal that is somehow isolated from the others(eg sick or going through a terrestial phase).
I personaly believe its a symptom/result/indication of an animal that doesnt 'fit in with the group' as it were. Its odd.

That's very interesting. :) Thanks for explaining that.

AW: Color change in Cynops orientalis

Hi,

it could also be a sign for the beginning of peeling.

Greetings Ingo V.

I keep a C.orientalis that was light gray when I got her. She has darkened in color over the last year and laid fertile eggs a few months ago. I now have a few larvae swimming around their tank.

Re: AW: Color change in Cynops orientalis

Hi,

it could also be a sign for the beginning of peeling.

Greetings Ingo V.

It could indeed, forgot to mention that. Shedding does tend to be more of a washed out looking colour(dark grey or greeny sort of colour) that effects all pigmentation in the effected area, in specimens I've seen that have changed to a paler colourand patterning or colour variations in the skin become more pronounced.
I have one right now which was quarantined due to injury three or four months ago, he's faded from almost black to a greyish olivey green with darker splodges, really evident pale tan dorsal stripe and his belly colour has gone from bright orange in the centre to a slightly paler colour with almost pastel orange on his sides.
This isnt the first CO I've had do this seperated/quarantined either, and the fact that all the pet shop specimens I've seen(wild caught) are dark in colour and that in large groups they tend to remain dark makes me think its some kind of environmental/group thing.

The only group where I havent had a colour change was a big one - 16 wild caught adults housed in a 3 ft paludarium(would loveto have the space to do that again). The only difference in how I've kept those from others in the past and the ones I have now are the size of the tank, the number in the group and the lighting setup. The hood was bought pre fitted and one of the bulbs was a repti sun 5. I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to newts biology, could UVA/UVB lighting have something to do with it? I know UVB can effect colouration in some frogs.

Theres the obvious camoflage issue being lighter in colour in a dark muddy pool, makes me wonder if anyones ever seen a really pale coloured animal in the wild?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back