Axolotl colouring change

Fumi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Fiona
Hey, I've had my axie for about a month now. She seems happy enough and has grown about 2 inches since I've had her. My concern however, is that over the last week or so her complexion has changed. She leucistic. Her body has always been very pale (I'd say white) with pale pink gills. She was always very gentle too. Investigating me when I'm cleaning out her tank and taking her food with no fuss. However, over the last week or so she's changed. Her body is darker now. Still a pale pink, but definitely with more colour. Her gills are now a very dark pink (particularly after eating) and sometimes her checks seem to blush as well. She's become more aggressive when eating. She's had my hand several times instead of eating the food. She does eventually eat the food. And she's putting on weight around her middle. She has quite the belly now. There's only sand in her tank, so it's not like she's got anything stuck inside her. I'm just wondering if this is all normal behaviour for an axolotl.

Hi Fiona, I very much hope Fumi is acting normally because she sounds exactly the same as my 5 month leucistics, Gilbit and Blade. (except they have grown about 2cm in 2 weeks to about 9cm)

Do you know how old Fumi is? How long is she?

I'm quite happy that the things you mention, more aggressive eating, colouring up and expanding around the middle are normal developmental things.

I noticed changes in my other 2 axies, Mike and Kylie, after 2 or 3 weeks in their new home too - perhaps they need a few weeks just to settle into their new environment before they feel really comfy.

Your question made me wonder though if female axies produce eggs without the proximity of a male? Perhaps someone could give me a yes or no on this to save me a search please.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly how old she is. I've been told somewhere between 8 and 12 months. I'm still not 100% she is a girl. Although from what I can see, it's looking far more likely. I hope tat this is normal behaviour and it's comforting to know that your axies are acting the same. So thanks for that. But if anyone has any more input on this subject. I'd be very grateful. It would be interesting to know if females do ill produce eggs without males around...?

I always thought no, they only lay eggs after they've picked up a spermatophore, but recently there was a thread in which somebody (a moderator I think) said that yes they can lay eggs without a male present. I think it's unusual though.

hi there

from my understanding here in new zealand quite a few axie's produce eggs without a male present there have been a few people trying to sell infertile eggs its a bit of a problem cause some people have got boys and girls in same tank and the girls "over produce" eggs apparently

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back