Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What exact filter would you recommend for a tank that is 1' by 2' and/or one that is 1' by 3'?

Lemi

Reaction score
I had an axolotl but he passed away several months ago and I recently found another, but I no longer have the filter I had, which didn't work well anyway, but I don't know what brand, make, or model or whatever I need to help keep the tank clean between weekly partial water changes.
Also, for those who know what plants to keep, is the amazon sword a viable plant? I read somewhere of someone keeping it with axolotls and he has yet to uproot it.

Last edited:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If you're doing weekly water changes then I wouldn't even worry about a filter and just add an air stone.

Amazon swords are on OK plant for an axie tank as long as it doesn't get too cold. This plants optimal temperature range is 22-28c but it can handle temps down to around 16c without any issues. My plants leaves will start to brown and drop once the temps drop below 10-12c.

Lemi

Reaction score
The only reason I'm concerned is that it smells a bit and it's not even been a week.

mekkha

Reaction score
Was your tank cycled before putting the new axie in? Also do you know if the one who died had some kind of illness?

Lemi

Reaction score
My axolotl died in May and I was very thorough in cleaning the tank, so I doubt that there is a disease, though I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by cycled.

Lemi

Reaction score
*As to the COD of the last, I believe it just got too hot for him, but I also belive I am better equipped to deal with this new one better as I did some research into cooling the tank that I didn't need to before since he was in the basement. He died soon after we moved into a new house and on the day of my grandmother's funeral.

ax

Reaction score
You NEED to read up on the nitrogen cycle - Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Unfortunately I suspect it is what killed your other axolol. The smell is ammonia, and unless you are careful I think this might die as well. :(

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Too much cleaning (or the wrong kind of cleaning) can actually be counterproductive. Instead of focusing on the idea of "clean" you need to focus on the idea of maintaining a healthy environment for beneficial bacterial in the tank. If the bacteria are healthy, the animals will be healthy. Read the article that ax linked to and come back with questions;)

If you tank smells bad, something is wrong. Is there any chance of there being any uneaten food in there? That's bad and could kill the axie.

I'm not familiar with what exact products are available in the UK, but I'd recommend an internal or external waterfall filter. Just be careful to disperse the outflow so it doesn't make a current in the tank. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!