Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Switching tanks

gougeaway

Reaction score
Hello everyone! It's been a very long time. For the past 3 years I've been moving around this fine country (and Canada) and now I believe I am FINALLY settled.
While I was gone, I had a friend caring for Mugatu and now I plan to take him back to my house.
The thing is that his tank is FILTHY (said friend was not big on cleaning).
I am thinking of just starting over with a new, nicer tank. Should I try to transfer the water from the old tank to the new one and just do a one day move/switch? Or should I start over and cycle the new tank and wait till that's done to pick up Mugatu?
Would newly cycled water shock him or anything?
Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Thanks! It's good to be back!

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Water hold very little beneficial bacteria... if there is plants or anything in the old tank better to switch those to the new tank... then start the cycling process

Zalth

Reaction score
When I switched tanks I used the same filter and moved the sand without cleaning to keep most of the bacterias, and the tank cycled very fast. Although, it takes some time for the dirt in the sand to settle. D:

MereB

Reaction score
Boo is right the water is of very little benefit in cycling. You'd do better with the plants, filter etc.

Personally I would grab a new tank get it cycled and settled then go get him and some of his old water.
When he's home put him in a nice big container, that you will still be able to lift comfortably when full of water, and fill it so he is just covered and over the course of the day take a little of the new tank water and add it to the container so he acclimatizes slowly to the new water.

You will also need to test his old tank water and the new tank water to compare pH and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. If your friend is now cleaning his tank then the ammonia/nitrite and nitrate should be fine but the pH could be very different.
pH is the most important of those. They need to be pretty much exactly the same (withing .2 of each other) or you risk pH shock.

As long as you acclimatize him slowly before he goes in it should all be just fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!