Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma jeffersonianum Hybrid?

K

kaysie

Is s/he a hybrid? or no? She's approximately 7" long, but Mike G thinks her toes are too short to be a pure A. jeffersonianum. What do you think?
18459.jpg

PS: they're not normally this fat. This was "Thanksgiving" cricket day.

PPS: Here's some other pics, just for John.

This is a heron of sorts that was just hanging out at the Wilhelma Zoo in Stuttgart, Germany
18460.jpg

This is a Great Crested from Morg's yard.
18461.jpg

This is one of my new axies, displaying a lavender color
18462.jpg

PSx3: other pics can be viewed at http://photos.yahoo.com/popularity_kills

K

kaysie

Well you were talking about bird pictures in chat the other day, and I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

E

elizabeth

<font color="ff6000">I believe that is a hybrid of A. jeffersonianum x laterale. It has a jeffersonianum background set with a laterale spotting. Both have long toes, jeff's dorsal isn't usually very blue with specks, it stays downward of the body and belly. The lat's are often very DARK and smaller in total size.

Does the range have both?</font>

K

kaysie

No locality data available (despite repeated requests). The other two (and the two that disappeared) are all fairly light, and the spotting is definately confined to the lower parts of the body. And I was assured that all were collected together from the same area (breeding pond, I assume). She's just slightly moreso spotted than the others. The picture hides it due to glare, but along the dorsal ridge is fairly devoid of speckling. It definately does taper off toward the top. Also, you can see her legs are heavily spotted, and how this also tapers off as you travel upward. Personally: I think she's too large to be a hybrid. Hybrids usually run more toward the laterale size than the jeffersonianum size. I think she's just unusually heavily spotted (similar to Tim's designer cynops of gold).

K

kaysie

Lol, I'll take pics of the other two and post them all 3 together.

megan

Reaction score
Hello Kaysie,
We each got a lavendar/gray-colored Axolotl from Jennifer and I see from the above photo that yours was also VERY lavendar like mine. What does it look like now? Has its color changed much lately? Does anyone know how common this coloration is?

K

kaysie

Megan, its now extremely dark purple.
18834.jpg

This coloration changes on a daily basis, lighter or darker. I couldn't tell you whether this is due to lighting or other things. This is about the darkest I've seen it. Also, the coloration is very smooth, not speckled like the others.

(Message edited by kaysie on July 29, 2004)

M

mark

Kaysie,
I have found many salamanders in Michigan over the years that look very similar to that and have measured 6 to over 7 inches. They are usually located with laterale populations. I have always assumed they are lateral-jeff. hybrids, (of which I know there are several).

K

kaysie

These were collected in Pennsylvania. I'll get that pic up tonight

K

kaysie

As promised (if a little late) here are pics of all 3. The female in question is on the left.
19550.jpg

19551.jpg

Now I had some A. laterale for a brief period, and they were more heavily spotted than all 3 (5 at the time) of these. And were much smaller.

E

elizabeth

<font color="ff6000">I STILL go with my original answer of hybrid of A. jeffersonianum x laterale. Size and the background send me that way. Jeff's can reach 8" and lat's reach 5". Laterale are smaller, shorter-legged, narrower-snouted, and darker. I also remember something with jeff's tail being larger and more compressed then the lat. </font>

(Message edited by bethnewt on July 31, 2004)

K

kaysie

Mike agrees. Guess there will be no breeding here, unless someone wants some crossbreeds.

megan

Reaction score
I would be interested in a few hybrid babies, in the spring if possible. I don't know how desirable they are for other people but I specifically want HB's.

K

kaysie

After crossreferencing the data I have with Petrankas, I'm going to stick with the idea that these are Jeffersons of the pure-blood variety. According to Petrankas, none of the hybrids are found in Pennsylvania. You might sway me to JJL hybrids, but I'm sticking to my guns. Especially since the 3 of these look practically identical to the Jeffersons pics found in Petrankas. (Can you tell I just got my own copy of it? lol)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1