Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Amphuima and/or siren in a pond setting

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
Hello.
So I'm working for a local school and we are planning on constructing a large (+- 6000 gallon) wildlife pond next to this strand of woods. We plan on stocking it with several native species including gar, bass, bluegill and maybe a bowfin. I was hoping to try and introduce some native caudates as well, specifically either a siren or amphuima. My question is, will an amphuima or siren of full adult size, given plenty of cover, do well with other native fish? Also, would they venture far from a secluded lake during a heavy rain? (There are no nearby wetlands for them to get to). This will be in South Florida.

Any input would be invaluable.

Thank you.

pierson_hill

Reaction score
Both species will coexist with native fish provided they have adequate cover to hide and forage. Both species like to inhabit shallow thickly vegetated areas with mucky organic sediment. They will also need to be able to hide beneath large submerged objects like logs or rock piles. Siren will almost never leave the water unless you have flood conditions that produce heavy sheet flow out of the pond. Amphiuma tend to wander a bit more but will probably stay put as long as there aren't any low soggy pathways out of the pond. You should stock the pond with smaller native fish as well (Gambusia, Fundulus Heterandria, etc) to provide a prey base for the larger guild.

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks a ton for that info!
Along with the larger 'game fish', I do intend on stocking Gambusia affinis and Poecilia latipinna, as part of the native fishes. Gambusia I know from experience are an excellent forage fish that are almost impossible to eliminate once established.
To prevent runoff, I will be building a 'wall' of coral rocks around to make it look natural but also prevent runoff.
To reduce the amount of nutrient loading I will be using sand as the main soil for plants, with plenty of submerged logs and rocks and possible leaves from nearby trees which I imagine will find there way in, along with water lilies.

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks a ton for that info!
Along with the larger 'game fish', I do intend on stocking Gambusia affinis and Poecilia latipinna, as part of the native fishes. Gambusia I know from experience are an excellent forage fish that are almost impossible to eliminate once established.
To prevent runoff, I will be building a 'wall' of coral rocks around to make it look natural but also prevent runoff.
To reduce the amount of nutrient loading I will be using sand as the main soil for plants, with plenty of submerged logs and rocks and possible leaves from nearby trees which I imagine will find there way in, along with water lilies.

And in addition it will also be stocked with native crayfish, which I need to research to find the native species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!