Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Questions about Price and Shipping of Axolotls in US/Canada?

What is the maximum total price (including shipping) you would pay for an Axolotl?

• ~$20-$30

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • ~$35-$45

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • ~$50-$60

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • ~$70-$80

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • ~$100

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • $100+

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Those are all much too high!!

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
TL;DR: I am hand-raising over 100 axolotls. Are the prices listed in bold fair/decent, what are your best methods for shipping Axolotl juveniles, and is USA to Canada shipping of axolotls feasible?

I am currently raising 100+ axolotls larvae in my home. :eek:

They are the offspring of a Wildtype/Copper hybrid female axolotl and Golden Albino/Copper hybrid GFP male axolotl (he presents wildtype however, because hurrah genetics!).

From what I am seeing in the little larvae, I definitely have a few golden albinos (white eyes, very light) and wildtypes (greenish tint, very speckled). I assume as well, that the light colored axolotls with very few speckles are the elusive (in the USA at least) Coppers. I assume because I have not seen many copper larvae and have no way to know until they are at least juveniles. (If anyone does have any FOR SURE pictures, please post them!) I also assume a percentage of them will present with GFP, but will not be checking until the are juveniles.

Although I am going to keep one copper, I will be selling the rest. My question is, I have never sold animals before, and am unsure of for how much I should sell them for (for different types), the best way to package and mail them in the US, and if it is possible to mail them to Canada.

At the moment, even though the biggest ones are only about an inch long, I am keeping them all in seperate 16 oz deli cups (until the become larger, which I have large tupperware containers for) with individual plants for oxygenation. It take about 2.5 hours each day to clean their little habitats, and then about 45 mins to feed, which is also done everyday. I have started with brineshrimp (which is frustrating because they occasionally fail) and will move on to a mix of live black worms and eventually frozen blood worms.

My point is, as a first time breeder it is a lot of daily work and a fair bit of expense (yes I know I could house them easily together for a while to reduce the strain on myself, but I want to decrease the risk of any causalities or harm and provide the best for them each individually. :3 ) I am trying to assess how much to sell them for. I have seen prices across the board, and I know prolific breeders/known sellers can offer them for higher prices because they have reputations, unlike myself, but I also am offering a bit extra for a more personal approach.

I was considering selling them as such at about 2.5 - 3 inches or so (without shipping costs):

Wildtypes: $10-$18 (They would be hybrids for either golden or copper)
GFP Wildtypes: $15-$20 (same)
Golden Albinos: $15-$20 (Would be hybrids for golden and copper)
GFP Golden Albinos: $20-$30
Coppers: $30-$40
GFP Coppers: $35-$45

I came up with these numbers based on sampling through the For Sale US forums and rarity of the type of Axolotls (In the US).

I would also offer for the buyers to receive pictures of the exact axolotl they are going to buy, with updates until they are being shipped. I know its odd, but I feel like the transaction would be less business-y and more personal between the buyer and their new pet.

As for shipping, I have heard a variety of methods and was thinking of offering different methods of shipping for the buyer to choose from: Priority USPS OR Expedited/Overnight USPS, both packaged the same way, double bagged or placed in breathable fish bags and placed in a Styrofoam box with a cold pack (Likely they would be sent off at the end of May). Also offer tracking numbers if possible? I would have to give them a shipping price quote individually, depending on which options they choose.
Does this sound like an decent way to ship and offer shipping?.

Lastly, I have heard Canada does not have many Axolotl suppliers for non-exuberant prices. I have looked in different forums without much luck on importing animals to Canada form the US. Is it possible, or would it be too much of a hassle/price jack-up?

Sorry for the long post! I like to be super through!

And yes I know I am "crazy" for raising them like this, but I want to insure these babies will receive the best life I can give them as if I were keeping them for my own.
I am also super conscious about selling them to people I don't know as well, and even though this is Caudata.org, will likely be sending a short info and basic care sheet with each one just in case. I just want their lives to be the best! God, I'm such a mother hen. :eek:

Thanks for any helpful opinions!

Bette

Reaction score
I think your prices are fair and reasonable. You will soon find that your available time will quickly shrink if you go too overboard with the emailed progress updates. Especially with raising 100 juvies. But I do agree that communication is key and it's always nice to see a photo of the animal you are receiving.
If you don't have pure oxygen to fill the bags with, you can use breather bags... I am not sure what the success rate has been with those bags & axies. But I am curious myself about that option. Problem is, they are expensive.
Tip: Always ship on a Monday or Tuesday.
I haven't yet had to ship to Canada, so I can't comment on that.
Good luck :)

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
I think your prices are fair and reasonable. You will soon find that your available time will quickly shrink if you go too overboard with the emailed progress updates. Especially with raising 100 juvies. But I do agree that communication is key and it's always nice to see a photo of the animal you are receiving.
If you don't have pure oxygen to fill the bags with, you can use breather bags... I am not sure what the success rate has been with those bags & axies. But I am curious myself about that option. Problem is, they are expensive.
Tip: Always ship on a Monday or Tuesday.
I haven't yet had to ship to Canada, so I can't comment on that.
Good luck :)

Thanks for the insight!
Though it would take extra time, I did not necessarily mean hourly or daily photo updates of the axolotl.. Just, for example, if someone asked for a golden albino, I would send 5 or 6 pics of the golden albinos I have, allow them to choose one they like best, then send an additionally photo or two of their axolotl being happy and fed, and also just before it is being shipped off to them. I have already have them in named little containers, so it would not be too difficult to know which is which....Yes, Crazy, I know..
:rolleyes:
I had noticed that breather bags do seem to be a tad more expensive, but I am still looking around to see if I can find any wholesale or what not...
If not, I know I'm supposed to fill durable bags with 2/3rds water I think and leave the rest of the bag empty for gas exchange.

Kaosu

Reaction score
Mm no imput from me on all this but sighn me ip for a copper!!

dennacerise

Reaction score
Usually I wouldn't pay very much for an axolotl ($10-$15 plus shipping), but I would be willing to pay a lot more for a copper! :p Those do seem to be rare in the US...?

dennacerise

Reaction score
Also I would definitely love to buy some baby axies from you when you're selling them! :D Reserve a couple golden albinos for me! ;)

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
Also I would definitely love to buy some baby axies from you when you're selling them! :D Reserve a couple golden albinos for me! ;)

Haha, I'll do my best. I'll send you a PM if you like when I put up the Ad.

Usually I wouldn't pay very much for an axolotl ($10-$15 plus shipping), but I would be willing to pay a lot more for a copper! :p Those do seem to be rare in the US...?

Yeah, I haven't seen any sellers of just Copper axolotls online anywhere in a few years!

Hey how much are the eggs please text me back jesus.nathalie@yahoo

I was thinking $.75 for 20 eggs or less or $.60 for 21 eggs are more. $5.95 flat rate shipping. I am still separating the eggs off all my plants, so I am not sure how many eggs I have yet though. I will put up a US for Sale add when I finish counting them.
:p

reptilesJD

Reaction score

Yeah, I haven't seen any sellers of just Copper axolotls online anywhere in a few years!

I was thinking $.75 for 20 eggs or less or $.60 for 21 eggs are more. $5.95 flat rate shipping. I am still separating the eggs off all my plants, so I am not sure how many eggs I have yet though. I will put up a US for Sale add when I finish counting them.
Thanks for the info :D

Kaosu

Reaction score
Send me a pm when you have the coppers up! ..maybe if the eggs will have copper....hmmm

reptilesJD

Reaction score

What type are the parents of the eggs ?

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
Hm. I tried to post the eggs for sale, but it did not show up yet...Which made me think I didn't submit it, sooo I accidentally sent 2. Which I now realize the moderators have to approve it first..:eek:

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Well, I tried to post the ad, but I'm not sure whats happening but it's not posting.

I have 81 eggs at the moment, PM if intrested I suppose?

Ads have to be approved before being posted I believe, should come up within a few days

speckles

Reaction score
if it's for the axololt of my choice then I'd pay 50-80 including shipping. But that has to wait until next year before I can purchase an axolotl.

MommaK

Reaction score
Are you still selling/shipping? I have a 20l tank I have been running and cycling for near a month (live plants hiders filter and sand substrate) and am looking for something other than wild type (love the colored critters ;)) would be interested in buying. First time owner so would want someone a bit older (metemorphed fully 3-4"?) Would have to be shipped to Idaho let me know :):D

tipnatee

Reaction score
I had noticed that breather bags do seem to be a tad more expensive, but I am still looking around to see if I can find any wholesale or what not...
If not, I know I'm supposed to fill durable bags with 2/3rds water I think and leave the rest of the bag empty for gas [
U]exchange.[/QUOTE][/U]

I love breather bag!!!! :happy::happy::happy: They are awesome , you can buy them on eBay from China for 1000 bag for cheap. I'm currently selling my axolotl on eBay also . eBay is pretty tough to sell on cause there are too many crazy stupid rules some make absolutely no sense. But you should try it. ( my price also similar to yours)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!