The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Old 25th November 2007   #1
luvmypitties

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: luvmypitties has started on the right path
Default My spotted Sals

Here are some pictures of the tank I have set up for them and some pictures of them!

Click the image to open in full size.

What do you think for a first time Salamander owner?

luvmypitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2007   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Not too bad. Your substrate may be a little on the moist side.

How often do you see them? Do they burrow on their own much?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007   #3
luvmypitties

Nationality:

They dont burrow much on their own. I have dug out little holes for them since it said in the wild they use other animals' burrows. I dig a burrow for them and cover the top with a piece of wood or something to make it more secluded. I dont see them much unless I go looking for them to check on them. I do see them when I feed them. One of them comes out and is all over the food I bring them. I had just sprayed before I took the pictures thats why it looks so wet. I hadnt mixed it well yet. That one was out so I wanted to get him picture!

Old 26th November 2007   #4
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Very wet is a bad idea.

Old 27th November 2007   #5
luvmypitties

Nationality:

The soil is not as wet as it looks in the picture. it isnt mud. It is misted dirt. I hadn't mixed it around yet. It is not wet, not muddy, not a puddle. It is moist dirt!

Old 27th November 2007   #6
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

You may find it a good mix to combine topsoil with coco fiber. The coco fiber itself doesn't hold moisture well, but when mixed with topsoil, it retains water well.

They look very nice :)

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007   #7
Nathan
(Nathan050793)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hey, not bad. It looks good. Those sure are some cutes salamanders!

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007   #8
Cameron Cheri
(Slimy2)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Cool

They look nice. Nice setup too.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007   #9
dane_zu
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: dane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and information

great looking sals, I envy you that one comes out for food...mine wont eat in front of me

Tags
sals, spotted