Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange behavior

Hofstedt

Reaction score
Hi gyus!

I have a question. The last couple of days one of my axis has been spending a lot of time in a pot in the tank just like she is staring at something and sometimes it looks like she is digging for something. The pot is empty but still she seems very curious about it.
Does anyone know if this is normal?
It has been there for a long time but it is not until now she has been showing interest in it, and its only her, my other axi is just hiding as soon there is light in the tank.

When she is not there she is hiding with my other axis so they cannot be seen.

smiley1996

Reaction score
This is weird my eldest axie has the same problem for the past 2 days shes sat under her bridge and looked up at everything but doesnt want to come out for aby reason :-/

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

xxianxx

Reaction score
Doesnt sound like anything is wrong. Axolotls are mole sals, they do dig, even in a bare tank lol. As for lounging about doing little ,other than watching the world go by, is typical behavor.

bugdozer

Reaction score
Doesnt sound like anything is wrong. Axolotls are mole sals, they do dig, even in a bare tank lol. As for lounging about doing little ,other than watching the world go by, is typical behavor.

After a huge meal of as many bloodworms as he could stuff his face with, one of mine recently sat in the same spot without moving for 48 hours. As far as I can tell, axolotls are just odd at behaving!

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
Looking for food. Maybe theres an errant worm in there somewhere. My axies favorite activities are hiding, looking for food, or staring at me. And of course, doing nothing at all, not an activity, but they are good at it! :happy:

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Mine 'snuffle' at the tank bottom to see if there's any grub going (even if they've just been fed) and 'dig' at the back of hides. It's not unusual for adults to spend hours simply sat in a hide staring out at you. They're chillaxed wee beings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1