Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia issues

CourtneyD

Reaction score
Hi there,

We have two juvenile axolotls in a 20 gallon tank they are about 4 inches long. The tank was cycled prior to putting them in with all the levels where they should be. The ammonia level is now at 0.50, nitrite is at 0 and nitrate is at 0 which is obviously not good. What can I do to fix this ? I’ve bought ammo lock today so it doesn’t hurt my Axolotl and plan on doing 50% water changes daily to try and fix it. Is that the right thing to do ? Should I get bacteria in a bottle ? Should I be feeding them regularly (bloodworms) or cut back to try and lower the ammonia ? I know since they are young they need to eat so they don’t go after each other.

We are new to owning Axolotls so trying to do everything right.

Thanks!

Viking

Reaction score
The reason the was is cloudy is a bacteria bloom of the tank trying to cycle. You can do a partial water change. Do you live plants? Hornwort and many floating plant will absorb ammonia directly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!