Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Best Live Plants For Axolotls?

Huskar

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently planning to plant some live plants in my 40 gallon tank with two axies in it and I was wondering what are the best plants for them?

The ideal plants I am looking for are ones that can live in low light, temperature around 60~64 that is tall and has broad leaves for my axolotls to lean and hang on to.

I would much appreciate it for varieties of different plants and thank you for taking time.

jamessamlev

Reaction score
Elodea, and sword plants are good, Elodea is easy to take put if they end up breeding

Sweetie

Reaction score
Ferns may also work for you, such as bolbitis or microsorum. I'm also thinking of trying ceratophyllum demersum (rigid-leaved - there's also a soft-leaved version, ceratophyllum submersum), which apparently does well in low light and without substrate, grows fast and may help control algae. Or anubia nana.

Last edited:

Trams

Reaction score
In fresh water and low light I have Lilaeopsis novea zelandae, Sagittaria subulata, Vallisneria spiralis, Elodea densea (floating), Ceratophyllum demersum (floating), Myriophyllum aquaticum, Cryptocoryne wendtii and affinis, Fontinalis sp willow 2 (attached) Anubia barteri 'nana' (attached)

Good choice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!