Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Elektra And Eddie, Movie Stars

D

dawn

Photobucket movies
My neighbor came over and held the camera while I fed the newts. They're our first attempts, but good enough I think to post! The first is Elektra and Eddie. I love the way Elektra looks like she wants to steal Eddie's food after she swallows hers. Eddie's piece was too big, but don't worry, after the movie was made I gave him some smaller pieces. They definitely get enough to eat, as you can see.
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/otterwoman/?action=view&current=EE.flv

The second is of the Marbled newt, Greeno. It's not the sharpest, but you can see how greedily he snatches his food! But don't worry, he gets enough to eat also.
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/otterwoman/?action=view&current=marb.flv
We're going to work on the lighting and try to make more videos next week.
I loaded the first one onto YouTube, and it's still processing in the time it took me to load both movies onto Photobucket, watch them, and post this.

Here's the YouTube link to the Elektra video, (same video different hosting site):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAge4qgU4bk

(Message edited by otterwoman on April 10, 2007)

C

cameron

Awesome videos Dawn!
biggrin.gif

Hope to see more later.

N

nicole

Nice to know I'm not the only one who talks to her newts like they are her babies!

N

nicole

They sure do...they come right up to my face when I look at them. And I swear, my little girl waves her regenerated hand every time she sees me!

C

coen

Hi Dawn, lovely movies! How did you get your juvenile marbled newt to go (semi?) aquatic? my little ones really hate the water.

(Message edited by coendeurloo on April 12, 2007)

R

rodrigo

Cool videos! I´m with Coen, how do you do it?? I provided mine with a water area and if i put them i it they will stay for about 5 minutes...then slowly go to the land part and never go back into the water. They even hate it when i mist them.

D

dawn

I wish I could claim credit for it...
I just let them tell me what they want. When I brought them home, I made their tank mostly land, but I have adjusted it over time as one seems to prefer almost always water, one is 75-25 (in favor of water) and the other is 25-75 (in favor of land). I don't think I had anything to do with it. I was surprised by it, from what I read of their preferences. Maybe they like the water best because that's where all the good food is.

(Message edited by otterwoman on April 13, 2007)

D

dawn

Well, here's more marbled newt. It's not a movie,
but I love the color and pattern on his feet.
They are so cool!
82023.jpg

D

dawn

Here's the set-up for the Marbled Newts, if that helps explain their behavior at all.
There is an air-bubbler in the upper left corner, and there are a good number of plants. Their land mass is made from clay pots.
I wonder what the marblings prefer in nature, land or water?
Also I put up two movies of my hedgehog on photobucket, if anyone wants to hear more babytalk, but that's off topic.
82041.jpg

82042.jpg

N

nicole

The marbled newts native to RI (at least those on my property) prefer land until breeding time in late summer/early fall where they seem to really enjoy my inground pool.

D

dawn

Oh, I meant the marbled newts from Europe that I have in the tanks in the pictures. They're green and black with the red stripe. I'm jealous though that you have marbled salamanders on your property! It's nice having redbacks, but it would be nicer to have those!

D

dawn

My neighbor came back over today and we made some more videos. This time we had the lighting
much better but we forgot to use the zoom feature. We will be making this a Tuesday event
for a while till we get tired of it, so we'll try more next Tuesday. We managed one watchable
video today, of Elektra and Eddie eating again, but it's from further back (because we didn't use zoom).
If you're interested, here is a link and you can watch it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLHWF3MJnCQ

C

cameron

I like that video the most. I saw your hedgehog too. I've always wanted one.

D

dawn

Thanks, Cameron! I thought since it wasn't close up that it might not be so great.
About the hedgehog, he's my hedgehog so I love him, but he's grouchy, grumpy, he bites, and he only puts up with me for his mealworms. I wrote about him on my blog one time.
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-Rjrunt4.b7Kxsn1uRE_sULnZCSI-?cq=1&p=3
I definitely won't be getting another, and after all I've just said, he's really one of the friendlier hedgehogs I've heard about!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1