Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: URGENT Axolotl with bubbles under skin

Jawdoss

Reaction score
HI All,
This is fairly urgent.
My axolotl has been over weight and used to live in a tank full of pebbles with its previous owner. Her rear end has been floating a lot lately. she looks like she often has issues with walking (she bounces like theres zero gravity).

Just about 10 minutes ago, i noticed that she has big balloons coming out of her anus. This only appeared today, they were not there yesterday. I have put her in her own tank, with brand new clean water. and a cycled filter. The photo doesn't have much substrate as i just put her in this tank.

What could it be, what can i do? Please help asap!

Photo (18 Jan, 2014 2:40pm):
IMAG0723.jpg

The Juanita is now in the fridge, until i can get advice or anything to help me.

Last edited:

layna

Reaction score
Are they attached to her? Do they go back in at all?

What was she previously fed before you got her?

E

Elise

I think it may be a cloaca prolapse with bloating. Here is a picture of an axolotl with both. It could be from the pebbles you mentioned.

It would be best to seek the expertise of a vet.

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Are they attached to her? Do they go back in at all?

What was she previously fed before you got her?

Don't know if they go back in.
Her old owners didnt look after her too well.
She was fed on Beef Heart EVERYDAY, nothing else. She was kept in a tank without hides, and the tanks substrate was gravel.

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Where could i find a vet that deals with axolotls? Im in the Gold Coast, Australia. If anyone knows of a vet that deals with axololts, and they are reading this, could you please just leave a reply. I will try and fin a vet for her.

In the mean time, what do i do? How long will she last until the vet, what is prolapse?

layna

Reaction score
Im not sure on the general outcome.
If you go to the top of the threads and use the 'search this forum' button, just type in 'prolapse' and all the other threads regarding prolapses will come up if you want to have a read of them :D

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Just a note on this, not trying to scare you.

When my African clawed frog got a prolapse I did not see a vet on time and the prolapse burst so I had to euthanise him so in my opinion you really want to get to a vet as soon as you can in case it bursts like mine did. I am unsure how common it is for a prolapse to burst though but I imagine with it being so thin that it's not hard to do.

Hope your Axolotl will be ok though :)

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Just a note on this, not trying to scare you.

When my African clawed frog got a prolapse I did not see a vet on time and the prolapse burst so I had to euthanise him so in my opinion you really want to get to a vet as soon as you can in case it bursts like mine did. I am unsure how common it is for a prolapse to burst though but I imagine with it being so thin that it's not hard to do.

Hope your Axolotl will be ok though :)

OKay i will try get to a vet asap!

smiley1996

Reaction score
Im sorry for your loss :-( .. not easy :-(

Every animal has the right to be loved...

Jawdoss

Reaction score
This is a clear example of how gravel can harm your axie. Gravel and Beef Heart, both bad things, even worse mix. People should learn to look after a axolotl before getting one!

smiley1996

Reaction score
Indeed I agree! This little one died because someone werent bothered to look up simple information :-(

zombieaddict

Reaction score
Poor little baby. It's so sad to lose a pet to something that could have easily been avoided through proper care. I want to raise and sell little ones some time next year once my littles are old enough. To keep myself busy in the meantime, I've been putting together a care guide that I'll be sending home with each new owner when the time comes that I actually have babies to sell.

smiley1996

Reaction score
Zombie that's great! Its what every pet shop that sells axies or any animal really should have! :) and I agree it could of easily been avoided poor lil girly! :-/

auntiejude

Reaction score
... I've been putting together a care guide that I'll be sending home with each new owner when the time comes...
I've done exactly this! The LFS were impressed...
Lets hope it reduces these sad stories of poorly kept axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1