limb rot on FBs?

blackasher1

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,
I had an account on here but I can't seem to get it working again so i've made a new account now haha
I've been on vacation for the last 2 months and my brother has been taking care of my newts. I just got in today and noticed that a few of their toes have gone a pinky colour. I'd never noticed them before so I can only guess it's happened sometime between may and now.
Does limb rot start off with anything similar to this? Does anyone know what I can do?
I'm assuming the tank wasnt cleaned as often as it should of been. Now that i'm home and can do regular cleanings will the problem solve itself?

If anyone can help i will be so greatful
xx

I have the same suspicions that you do - they have the beginnings of limb rot, probably due to inadequate cleaning of the tank. If the weather has been hot, that may have made matters worse.

Do a larger water change than usual, maybe about 50%, and continue smaller changes daily. Keep the tank cool. If the toes are still fully intact, then this is all that I would do.

thank you for your reply. it doesnt seem to be geting any worse. none of the toes have actually gone missing so far as I can tell and I have been keeping the water as clean as I can. During my vacation I had actually set aside money to upgrade their tank upon my return. Do you think changing their habitat would stress them out too much and add to the problem?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back