Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking for some help on my situation

ba98mgt

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here. I live in southeastern Michigan. I had a few tiger salamaners years ago. About. Year ago, I wanted to get back into it and snag up some tigers. Well, I've been struggling to find some since then.

I got somewhat lucky recently. A pet store ordered me 2. Unfortunately, 1 died before I got there. I got the other and when I got home, it looked in bad shape. It was skinny, weak, and something looks wrong with its back. He/she spins when it swims. Needless to say, I'm going back to the store this week and they'll hav more for me. Hopefully I can keep this one for free. They're getting $40 each for these.

What can I do to help it? It'll eat, if I hold worms near its nose, but that's it. The back looks to be in a permanent S shape, and its not good at making right hand turns.

Thank you for any help. I'm new and look forward to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Sounds like a spinal disfunction. Maybe bone deformity or injury. Honestly the pet store should have never sold you a sick animal and you shouldn't have to pay for it either. Is it still in larval form? You did mention swimming.

Usually newts or salamanders with spinal ailments don't recover. I've had newts that developed spinal kinks and it became fatal. Stress free and a good diet helps avoid negative developments.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would discourage you from buying these animals from a pet store. They are almost certainly wild caught or hatched from eggs taken from the wild then being sold at a huge profit. This is certainly not ethical and may well be illegal. I would check with your state's DNR for the legality of your purchasing and owning a tiger salamander obtained in this fashion.

And the condition of the animal's that you purchased...speaks volumes about the seller.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I would discourage you from buying these animals from a pet store. They are almost certainly wild caught or hatched from eggs taken from the wild then being sold at a huge profit. This is certainly not ethical and may well be illegal. I would check with your state's DNR for the legality of your purchasing and owning a tiger salamander obtained in this fashion.

And the condition of the animal's that you purchased...speaks volumes about the seller.

Agreed! Couldn't have said it any better.

ba98mgt

Reaction score
Where else can I get Tiger Salamanders from?

I spoke with the store today, they may let me keep him due to his condition. Ill be getting another anyway since I paid for a healthy salamander.

Yes, it can swim...well, it tries to. Has legs and all, no gills. Probably 6 or 7 inches if I had to guess. I have to hand feed it.. I put live worms in from of him and he won't eat. But then again, I'm not sure what to do. I'm learning still.

ba98mgt

Reaction score
I have it in a 10g aquarium with a mesh lid. I have a small pool in it. Seems the salamander likes to lay in the edge and sometimes swim in it, that's why I've kept it.

rivkah

Reaction score
To find newts/salamanders check with your local repitile/herp clubs and reptile shows. There are also reputable dealers on line. (personally, I have puchased from Backwater reptiles, and have been completely satisified with pricing, shipping, and overall cost).

Around here (western Pa/eastern Oh) tigers are very commonly seen at rept shows. I have seen them for as low as $10 and as much as $40.

After years of wanting and half heartedly looking for Rough Skin newts, and being unwilling/unable to pay higher prices, I found some at a recent local (an hour plus drive away) reptile show, for what I consider next to nothing. After a week of touch and go getting used to their new home, all three are doing great, feeding well and hanging out being 'happy' newts.

Oftentimes in pet stores... they are more geared to handling fish and treat newts/salamanders the same way. I have seen a tank of fire belly newts only being fed fish food flakes! Over time with food going in not being eaten and no water changes the water turns very acidic. I have been given newts free because the acidic water burned off their toes/arms and therefore could not be sold. After a time in a proper environment most survived and the toes/arms grew back.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is be paitent when researching for a particular creature. As I think you found out, it is more imprortant to get a healthy creature than to get one fast.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1