Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiny White Frog in hibernation from Nov

dwhitehill

Reaction score
I am a VSO volunteer living in the Upper West Region of Ghana and in November I found this tiny white frog on the hinge side of my wooden front door. Since then it has moved position a little higher up and moved on to the door frame, so as I open and close the door each day it does not get moved, but is safe and secure and completely hidden once the door is closed. The harmattan, Saharan sands have been blowing the past few months and its colour has changed to a dusty orange, but that is the blown sand. We had the first of the season’s rains this week and the following day I saw the frog move for the first time. It had opened its black eyes and stretched its long legs and moved about the door for a few minutes, then returned back to its original position on the door frame. It measures just 1.5 cm. in length and appears to have a black stripe running from head down the side of its body. It has three pads on the foreword legs and the webbing between its toes is orange in colour, however this may also be due to the dust/sand. The right side of its body, which is away from the blowing dust, still appears white. I have searched the net and only found a translucent reed frog, but I would really appreciate some one letting me know what frog I have living in my door frame. I didn't realise frogs could live without water for over 4 months! I am trying to attach a photo but may not be able to do this yet. Thank you

Attachments

• 11th November tiny frog.jpg
    11th November tiny frog.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 6,885
  • fROG 13 March wide awake.JPG
    fROG 13 March wide awake.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,950
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!