White spots on back

hsPhantomX

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
hi there,
After a few days, several white spots apears on the back of my Axie. Please let me know what type of illness is this? Is it serious?
Thanks

Attachments

• spots.jpg
    spots.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,629
are they raised or fluffy (sorry can't tell from the photo) if so they may be a fungal infection that will need treating with salt baths and a spell in the frdige.
However... don't panic, from the picture and to my untrained eye I think it just looks like his/her markings developing. How old is he/she?

very beautiful axie by the way, nice fluffy gills:D

Thanks for your quick reply
I can tell the skin is definitely flat. I'll provide more pics. I brought these 2 guys from a provider (he's my friend also and he has 6 of them) on Saturday night. For the first day both of them are clear. Monday morning I found white spots like that on the smaller one. Then when I came back from work the same day the other one had spots too. I brought the smaller one back to my friend. I saw all his 4 remaining Axies are clear.
Will high temperature cause this? I can keep the tank under 20C at night (when I turn the room air conditioner on) but it can excess 26C during the day.
Indeed my Axie looks healthy and eats a lot. He caught many fishes a day :p My friend brought them from China and he doesn't know how old they are and their gender :( My guy is around 8cm long.

Attachments

• DSCN1732.JPG
    DSCN1732.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCN1733.JPG
    DSCN1733.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 744
  • DSCN1638.jpg
    DSCN1638.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,236
Hmmm, not so sure that they are markings now, hopefully someone with a bit more expertise can help.

But... His/her tail looks a little curved at the tip which can be a sign of stress, also please please change your substrate, it's of a size that your axie can swallow and then have trouble passing :(
sand is a really good alternative and easy to keep clean, some prefer large stones/rocks that must at least be larger than your axies head (although debris can get caught amoungst these and cause water pollution) hope this helps, good luck

Thanks again, ali
His tail was only curved when i'd just turn the light on. After a few moments it would become normal.
Substrate in the tank is ADA Aquasoil. I think it's soft enough to be broken into dusts in his stomach. But I will watch him carefully.

So does anyone can tell exactly what are those white spots? :(

Thanks again, ali
His tail was only curved when i'd just turn the light on. After a few moments it would become normal.
Substrate in the tank is ADA Aquasoil. I think it's soft enough to be broken into dusts in his stomach. But I will watch him carefully.

So does anyone can tell exactly what are those white spots? :(

Hello hsPhantomX,

I don't know exactly what ADA aquasoil is composed of but I do know that it uses colloids to trap debris and nutrients, thus forming a biofilm for bacterial proliferation. ADA aquasoil however, lowers the pH and the hardness of the water. The pH is lowered specifically for the purpose of plant growth and can be lowered to 5.5 - 6.5 which isn't ideal for axolotls. You mentioned that ADA aquasoil can be broken down into dust, and seeing as it lowers the pH, this should mean that it will dissociate into acidic compounds. Having these acidic compounds within an axolotl internally can cause some harm. So perhaps you might want to consider changing the substrate. Play sand is commonly used amongst most axolotl keeps and is highly recommended.

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back