Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone tried this media?

I

ian

I heard of a media recipe from some dart frog people at the Reptile show. I dont recall the exact recipe. I think it look like this.

Banana
Apple Sauce
Oatmeal
baker yeast

I smelled their culture and it does not smell at all. Have you ever tried it? How does the exact recipe look like?
Thanks

R

russ

I'm using oatmeal, orange juice, sugar and yeast and there's no smell.

I

ian

This does seem like a easy media. So how is the portion of each ingredient did you use? Is it a dry yeast or wet yeast, baker yeast or brewser yeast? Orange juice with pulp?

Thanks.

R

russ

It's basically the recipe from previous posts here:

1 cup oat
1/4tsp dry bakers yeast
1/4tsp sugar
no pulp OJ
set for 12 hours before added flies (~50)

I put in enough OJ so that it will seem a little wet initially, but after it ferments for 12 hours it's plenty firm (at least to wear the fly don't get stuck). I actually do 1.5 of this recipe to a 1qt deli cup.

smukkkas

Reaction score
Banana
Apple Sauce
Oatmeal
baker yeast
these all are used in food....and testy food.......there is no any smell...it is how effect our health u can see in it... HEART

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1