Special care needed for axolotl with no eyes?

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rupertxgiles
So, as some of you may know we have been raising a beautiful eyeless axolotl for the last few months. He is about 4 months old now and the only eyeless baby out of the hundreds that were in the clutch. We keep all our babies in bins and containers until they are sold, rehomed etc, and now that we have decided to keep eyeless, it is time for him to move out of his tupperware and into a permanent setup! Anyone have any tips on keeping an eyeless axie safe and comfortable? We hand feed him as it is, and currently he has no substrate or anything. I have a ten gallon tank waiting for him to start out in. I am thinking only filling it halfway and put some hides and plants in? Not sure about sand yet...... the 10 gallon will be his home for the next 6 months or so then we will decide about something more permenant. We have out adult axies in a 40 gallon tank, but we are unsure if eyeless can live with them when he grows up ? I do not want him all alone if not neccessary , just want him to live a good life :) Also, he is half the size of his brothers and sisters, not sure why! ANy tips on substrate, filtration, and decor for a special needs axie would be great!

I have no experience with blind axies but I'd think same "ground rule" goes as with other blind animals: Don't do changes. Get a set up you're happy with and stick to it. Blind animals are usually pretty good at finding their way in familiar surroundings and it'll just confuse him if there are too many changes. Also I'd consider carefully where to put all the plants and decorations in his tank so that it's not like a labyrinth to him.

I am smiling at you because I am impressed you kept him and decided to try and give him the best life he can have. The herp people would have fed him to a carnivorous snake and been done with it!

I suspect that the birth defect or other problem that caused his eyelessness has other consequences that causes his small size. Or perhaps the lack of vision causes him to be less stimulated to eat.

I am no expert on axolotls having never owned any but I think your instincts that smaller and simpler is a good plan. If I had a blind gecko I would keep food in the same spot (hand feeding if needed ) and the tank arranged the same. I would give him plants - perhaps he can feel them and they make him feel secure. I agree he doesn't need substrate or alot of complicated hides, just a simple layout.

20140514_124748-1(2).jpg

Theres the little bugger

So cute!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back