Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Finally Eggs....

H

hayden

Okay so this morning i wake up and i see these funny white dots on all the leaves in my paddle tails tank...Eggs...Yeah im so excited...How do i care for these guys...Im taking them out of the tank so the mommy dont eat em'...Im so happy...I think it was all triggered because I made the tank fully aquatic and put a filter in...First they were in a fifty fifty tank but they never used the land side so i made an aquatic tank...Then their Cloacas swelled up...I never actually seen them doing it...But im rarely home...They laid i would say 50-75 eggs...should i pull them off the plant?...Or is it best to leave them...do i need a light...they are in a two and a half gallon kricket keeper for now...I think they are all fertile...Though i dont know how to tell but the male's cloaca is now not swollen at all...Thank you for all your help so far...

L

lyn

I have Paramesotriton fuzhongensis morphs now, and when they were laid I took them from the leaves and put them in shallow water in a room at about 70. i changed half the water every day (using conditioned water). Apart from a few mistakes on my part i only lost 1 after they had hatched into larvae. I hope this a help until someone with paddle tails responds. good luck.

H

hayden

Ok lynn...Im putting them in shallow water(like 2-3 inches)...I didnt know if i could take the eggs off the plants...any other help on feeding them if they hatch would be greatly appreciated..

L

lyn

the very first thing i did was took a frozen block of blood worm or brine shrimp and cut very thin slices off so when it defrosted it was tiny. they eat that. i introduced other frozen foods too. i cleaned this out daily. later i added live bloodworm when i could get it. they got really fat on that and in future i would add it allot sooner. as soon as they could manage it. now they have morphed they seem to only accept live food. they also like garden worms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1