Do I use Pellets only or what?

K

kelly

<font color="aa00aa"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>Good evening all. I am now a Axie junkie and have been glued to this site for 3 hours now. I would love to hear what my options are in Australia for feeding my mate Spade. He is currently in hospital (fridge) for bad fungus and stressed to the hilt. He is not eating and I am keen to have some delicacies on hand when he comes good. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks Kapo you seem very clued up on these cute little fellas !</font>}

try some earthworms!
frog.gif

Variety is the spice of life!
As you may have seen, we all have different ideas on what is good for axolotl.

Personally, my axie eats trout pellets, well washed meats, and frozen cubes of all kinds.

However, after he's better, if he's still not eating, try this.

Get a small batch of live bloodworms. Pop them in a bowl with tankwater. Use a pipette (small turkey bastery thing) to feed them one at a time.

Next day, pop most of a frozen defrosted cube in, and pop some live ones in/very close to it.
Spade should scarf the lot!
May take a few attempts with the live ones in the frozen food to encourage him to eat it all mind.

Good luck, and generally experiment a little!

I feel I have had a small victory. He survived the night. He seems to have stopped bleeding from his gills today and is somewhat calmer. He will not eat and when i did force feed a pellet he gave it back half hour later. Is Malachite green, the stuff in fungus treatment toxic to these guys? I have a fungus cure that has Methyl Blue and Malachite green in it. Thanks guys

Try not to force feed him as it'll stress him out.

Yes, Malachite green is toxic.
Meth blue is okish in half doses - I used it quite successfully.

Try him on a teeny dose of live bloodworm, but don't forget he might not want food if he's in the fridge - they don't get so hungry when it's cold.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back