Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Trout pellets.

D

drew

I have found cheeper food than Rangen salmon pellets for where I live and wanted to ask what everyone thought,.
The pellets are from Zeigler Bros., 800-841-6800
they are listed as salmon and trout pellets with 42 % crude protein ..16% fat
oil coated slow sinking .. and the one that im really thinking of getting is the
40% crude protein 10% fat in sinking pellets. I suppose both are oil coated and really couldnt answer if they were moist or not, but I hoped they were due to the sinking properties..
my question would be do you consider 40 % protein and 10 % fat to be a good staple diet and feed blood worms and cut shrimp,fish,ect,,to suppliment their diet to be worth the cost of the bag of 44lbs..
any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated,.
~ Drew ~

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Drew,
How does the price compare with a 44 lb bag from Rangen? Rangen is pretty cheap if you go with the big bag. I've used Rangen for years with good results. The one problem is it is pretty oily and creates a film on the tank. I think trout pellets will be similar.

E

edward

Trout pellets are oily and unlike the Rangen pellets, they are hard.
It also has to be used fairly quickly as it quickly gets colonized by Flour beetles as well as the oil can become rancid.

Ed

D

drew

I have found a huge difference in price for me,
Rangen Aquaculture Feeds,

for 50 lb bag /box $ 55.00 and $45.00 shipping from ups.. so roughtly $100 bucks

~~~~~~~~~~~~

40% crude protein 10% fat in sinking pellets. ups shipping $20.16 44lb bag is $18.44 so roughtly $ 40.00 bucks ..

i have experenced that trout chow is hard and doesnt sink but they say this is sinking pellets so im kinda woundering what is the difference..

$100 dollars compared to $40 dollars to me means the world.. but if it goes bad or if they dont like it it wouldnt do me any good at all..
if i keep it in a sealed bucket in a refridgerator would that cause more mold or would it keep longer ?
just thought i would inquire.
thanks
~ Drew ~

J

jennifer

Personally, I wouldn't spend the $40 without trying the product first. If the trout pellets turn out to be too oily or aren't eaten, you will then have to spend the $100 anyway to get decent ones. The trout pellets I have seen were pretty nasty, I wouldn't want to use them in aquariums.

Do you really have this many mouths to feed? You can buy Rangen on a smaller scale (a pound or two at a time) from a couple of places. Another idea is that maybe Rangen could help you find a local wholesaler that could sell you a big bag and save you the shipping costs.

D

drew

I have thought about trying to get local feed shops intown to see if they can carry or order Rangen for me but I have only found one store that has ever herd of them,. I think living in the south east there isnt any need or demand for salmon food because they are cold water fish.
Yes I have 6 axie's now and am getting 5 more soon because I want to breed them this winter, Here in my state I havent ever met anyone keeping or breeding axolotls and I love them and want to introduce them the general public if I can At All and make that happen.
Maybe ill buy the smalliest bag of the trout/salmon pellets and see how they work and all in all it will be $10.00 dollars instead of the 44lbs at $40 dollars.. I really want the Rangen brand because I have some of thoese pellets now and my axie's just love them, they also eat raw shrimp,cut up fish and cut up worms.. living at the beach I can cast net for shrimp and fish all day long, but prefer to keep them on a good solid diet of pellets making it easier on me,.
~ Drew ~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1