Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls and dog fod?

rayellis

Reaction score
I heard from a friend of mine that he feeds his saly water soaked dog food and he seems to respond really well to this... is that alright? And if so would a similar diet work for my axolotls when they're more mature[my biggest is only a little bigger than an inch]? Sorry if its a stupid question.

alexx

Reaction score
It's not something I've tried so I can't really comment. Some dog food is really nutritional and others is terrible.

The best food always for axolotls is live earth worms, when young live blood worms are better due to size but you can always chop up earthworms into chunks.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Axolotls are carnivores. Dogs are omnivores. There isn't one ingredient in dog food that comes anything close to what an axolotl would eat in the wild. It might be OK occasionally, but I have a hard time believing that this would be a good diet long-term. Cat food would be a little closer to the needs of a carnivore, and I do know someone who fed some salamanders with canned cat food, but even that was condemned by some other people as unnatural.

mekkha

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't try this. Dog food can actually get kinda complicated because even though it dry the ingredients in it still have a percentage of water in them. You have to crunch some figures to know exactly what you are feeding your dog in terms of crude protein, fat, fiber and carbs.

"Prescription" food (the kind you can only get at the vet) are the best and even then there are SO many different kinds for different needs. Adults don't eat the same as puppies, certain breeds don't eat certain ones (Dalmatians should be on vegetarian for example) and all kinds of things.

In other words if it's that complicated for dogs with dog food, you can imagine how it would be to feed another species this diet!

Just a few thoughts. :)

alexx

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. My axi is 10-14 weeks old and i was curious as to what the best diet would be for him? hes approx. 7 1/2 cm long... ???

Bloodworms or cut up earthworms if he's too small to eat whole ones.

Earthworms are always the best nutritional food for your growing axi.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Tadpoles are an inappropriate food. They can easily transmit disease and parasites to your axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!