Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie, any tips? Brine shrimp..

V

vikki

Hi
Brine shrimp are sea monkeys yes??
Are waxworms a good food?
They should have a staple diet but what do you suggest? I was looking into salmon pellets.
My local pet store feeds them reptomin but they don't seem to be too keen.
I would like to look into breeding brine shrimp or daphnia. Is it fairly easy to do?

Vikki

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Brine shrimp are sea monkeys. Brine shrimp are simple to hatch but difficult to raise. I hatch and feed them off in 1 to 2 days. It would be easier to answer your question if we knew what size and type salamander you are feeding.

V

vikki

ok, thanks, I'm getting two 10cm Axololts. I searched on the internet for salmon pellets but found absolutely nothing in the UK, does anyone know any supliers?

Vikki

M

mark

Hi Vikki, I don't keep Axolotls myself but I would think that at 10cm they would be able to take larger prey than brine shrimp. Small chopped earthworms and frozen bloodworms would maKe a good staple diet. You should be able to get earthworms from a fishing shop (or your garden)and frozen bloodworm can be found in most pet shops.
Cheers,

V

vikki

Thank you
happy.gif
I was panicing a bit, I've got a week and a half until i can introduce some axolotl. I don't want to be a bad mum!
Do axolotls breed easily in aquariums? It's just i'm not sure my pet shop knows how to sex them!

Vikki

V

vikki

Another question... Do axolotls eat fish in the wild, if I bred guppies for the axis to eat would they eat them? Or are fish not really good for them because of the bones?

Vikki

M

mark

Given the correct housing and feeding Axolotls breed readily in captivity. They are close extinction in the wild so all Axolotls in the pet trade have been bred in captivity. I doubt you can sex them until they are sexually mature. 10cm is a probably too small. When mature, males have a larger cloaca. Have you seen http://www.axolotl.org/ ? It will answer all your questions and there's a specific Axolotl section on the forum with lots of helpful people.

I personally would avoid feeder fish. Some keepers use them. Some of the dangers are:
- the fish may require different temperatures to the Axolotl
- the fish may nibble at the Axolotl's gills
- the fish may carry disease which spreads to the Axolotl.
- some fish have skeletons that are designed to be hard to swallow.

Ask around on the Axie forum and see what they say.

Cheers,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1