Oxygenating a Daphnia tank & other culture questions

S

sharon

I was counting on my local shops having a bio foam filter - none do. Whats a good alternative?

I think I have a powerhead on its way out - as I remember - I replaced because it was pushing water like it used to - I was thinking of wrapping the bottom in pantyhose and putting it near the top agitate the surface without bubbles.

Other thought was to take an airpump - wrap the stone in floss and place THAT near the surface for agitation.

Will oxygen get to the bottom?

I'm using a 10 gl tank, filled with water from turtle tank (currently looks like pea soup since I've been ill) and my tropical fish tank (ton of detritus from the gravel)

I see a ton of Daphnia swimming about after 24 hours in this tank - is safe to assume that water set up is ok?

Just to be safe I sprinkled in spirulina fish food (very little).

I've read dozens of sites and the information is SO variable! I'm beginning to get a bit lost!

Thanks in advance guys!
Sharon

I've managed to keep a daphnia colony running continuously for a couple of years now in big plastic tubs. A small air pump produces a slow steady stream of bubbles - no airstone, just big bubbles from the end of the tubing. I use a flat rock to hold the tubing at the bottom of the tub. That's it, very simple. I have two of these tubs going, in case one crashes.

If you are providing green water, there is no need to put in any fish flakes. That's like supplementing a gourmet meal with a side order of Spam.
smile6.gif
Green water provides perfect daphnia nutrition, and I would worry that fish flakes, in addition to being unnecessary, can cause problems - the daphnia cannot eat it directly (too big), so it can do only one thing: decay. If you run out of green water, I would suggest using dry yeast (dissolved completely before adding).

I think the reason that the various sites have variable information is that there is no one "right" way to raise daphnia. A lot of things work, you just have to find a method that works for you. Good luck!
smile7.gif

I should add that the output from the air pump needs to be regulated in some way to produce a very slow stream of bubbles. You don't want major turbulence in the water. You can control the air output by clamping the tubing, or you can get little air pump valves made for this purpose.

OH thank you!!! I won't need to buy a new anything then.

I have been ransacking my pet storage cabinets for all the old airpumps, power heads, etc = I know I have a large box full these half dead items, lol of course I can't find that box. doesn't it just figure that when you need it - you can't find it?

I just read my original post - omg I know better than to write/type anything when I'm that tired.

ummm, other tubs in case one crashes??? OH BOY. Uh um, was that the guy I ordered from sent me multiple baggies of daphnia and blackworms? LOL
well I'll work on digging out the other tanks later!

Thanks Jennifer!

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back