Can anyone identify Moina (?) from a photo?

J

jennifer

I have a culture that I started from "wild" daphnia last summer. Over time, the proportion of some tiny non-daphnia crustacean has increased to where they now outnumber the daphnia. Can anyone tell me if these are Moina, or some other species? They appear to have a clam-like shell. I can't find any photos on the internet that match.

First a comparison of a full-grown Daphnia with the "unknown". Sorry about the lack of focus, the photos were taken by holding the digital camera up to the microscope eyepiece.

29664.jpg

Second, a closer picture of just the "unknown".

29665.jpg

Jen, they're Ostracods, or "seed shrimp". Google time!
I know Morg uses tham as food for certain newts.

Ah, thanks Alan. Ostracods they are. Larvae love them, so I can't complain about the infestation I seem to have.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back