Question: Will a male lay spermatophores if no female is present?

layna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Layna
Hello so ive never had to think about breeding before as my axies were younger however ive woken up this morning and when i was feeding them i found something under the sand, i got my turkey baster and scooped it up then on closer inspection its a spermatophore!
There is only one axie in my tank who might possibly be a female, but, she does have a little lump.

My question is, Will males lay spermatophores if there is no female present?
If she is a female and i remove the spermatophore what will happen to her eggs?

She is around 12 months old and in good health and the oldest male in with her is 14 months old.

You have to remember that axies aren't really that smart....
Males will produce spermatophores and 'court' other males if they are in a male-only tank - the are optimistic that way. They will deposit spermatophores if it's just them in the tank too.

If you have found one spermatophore the chances are there were others are your female is already fertilised - you'll know by the weekend!
If she is not and you remove any more spermatophores, she will re-absorb any eggs.

Haha thanks i thought that might be the case as theyre nice but dim, but i started to doubt myself :wacko:

Well.....Mortimer keeps surprising me every few days with spermatophores. It's just him and Rupert in the tank, so I'm thinking that the answer to your question is definitely yes. :confused:

I should start shipping his spermatophores to people....haha. :eek:

s

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back