Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Central newt egg laying substrate

Hydro033

Reaction score
Hey, have any of you had newts (Notophthalmus) lay eggs on artificial plants or real plants in aquariums? I have only done it in large, outdoor, artificial ponds. I would like some advice on aquarium breeding with newts if anyone is knowledgeable.

sde

Reaction score
I don't think anyone in the US has ever actually bred this species in captivity. But if you were to try and breed them, i would suggest live plants. -Seth

deliriah

Reaction score
I have actually had success in my notos laying eggs. They're just never viable:confused:. I agree with live plants, I find quite a few eggs folded into the leaves of my java ferns each year.

Hydro033

Reaction score
Hmm. Well I've done it but I did it large cattletanks. I took a male/female pair and put them in a 1000L cattletank. I planted sprigs of Elodea canadensis in the tank and I had tons of eggs. I had about 14 breeding tanks and produced hundreds of individuals. I was just wondering if anyone did something like this on a smaller scale because finding eggs in a 1000L tank is difficult, time consuming and tedious.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!