Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

To Breed or Not to Breed

ackunz

Reaction score
Recently, we discovered one of our "two female axolotls" was a male. Less than a week later, 900 eggs were laid! While the eggs have found a good home, we aren't sure whether or not to allow breeding to continue.

To those who breed, do you keep males and females separate except for intentional breeding? Will they be "lonely" if separated? I've heard a female can suffer bred too often. How often should a mating pair be allowed to breed? Any advice is much appreciate by this first time axolotl owner!

bellyache

Reaction score
Recently, we discovered one of our "two female axolotls" was a male. Less than a week later, 900 eggs were laid! While the eggs have found a good home, we aren't sure whether or not to allow breeding to continue.

To those who breed, do you keep males and females separate except for intentional breeding? Will they be "lonely" if separated? I've heard a female can suffer bred too often. How often should a mating pair be allowed to breed? Any advice is much appreciate by this first time axolotl owner!

you will need to seperate them as she will lay constantly and stress could kill her.
once a year is enough for them
i keep my malesin onetank andthefemalesin another, they can seeeach other but thatsall

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!