Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How have you had the most success with breeding your axies?

Kaleya

Reaction score
After doing weeks of thorough research, I think I'm ready to breed my axolotls. How have you personally had the most success in breeding? Any and all help is appreciated :)

I know how much work and time and caring goes into breeding and taking care of the babies, and the cannibalism stage, etc. so please don't try and talk me out of breeding, thanks:)

sde

Reaction score
I have never bred axolotls, but I know how. It is very easy. Sometimes all you have to do is put a male in with a female and they breed, no extra effort. But if that doesn't work then a sudden drop in temperature can get them to breed. That should do it. You could also decrease and then increase their photo period.
Here is a care sheet, scroll down and you will see that there is info on breeding them. Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl -Seth

JM29

Reaction score
A massive water change and a rise of water level can trigger breeding.
Of course, the animals must be very well fed before.
I have most of my eggs in spring.

officerPuckles

Reaction score
I have had my male and female in their tank together for almost two years and I was beginning to think they would never mate.
But looking back on it, I changed their water and gave them an extra 5 gallons so the tank was almost to the brim with water (about 4 inches below the top)
About a week later I had eggs! I never even saw the spermataphores so I guess they were quick and ready!

LoriML

Reaction score
My axies were approx 8 months old and bred without me expecting it. I came home to eggs, never saw the spermaphores prior to the eggs. I currently am taking care of my first clutch of babies and will decide if I will let it happen again, or put a tank divider or something in.

Rini

Reaction score
A water change and altering the lighting helps a lot. Leave them in a room by themselves and it will also trigger breeding. Mine laid eggs last week after me being gone the entire week. :D

Slongo

Reaction score
My advice would be separate them for about two weeks. Then drop the temperature in the tank you want them breed in. After a few days if they haven't bred a 30% water change with cold water may get them going.

dennacerise

Reaction score
Then drop the temperature in the tank you want them breed in. After a few days if they haven't bred a 30% water change with cold water may get them going.

It seems people have good success with a drop in temperature. Does anyone know why colder water encourages axolotls to breed?

rachel1

Reaction score
Changes in temperature can mimic the natural changed they would get due to seasons outdoors. It is very common in many animals for changes in temperature, length of daylight, current and/or water depth to trigger breeding. This is because they are programmed to respond to environmental triggers so eggs get laid at the right time.

Nachtmare

Reaction score
After doing weeks of thorough research, I think I'm ready to breed my axolotls. How have you personally had the most success in breeding? Any and all help is appreciated :)

I know how much work and time and caring goes into breeding and taking care of the babies, and the cannibalism stage, etc. so please don't try and talk me out of breeding, thanks:)

One thing for sure....I noticed in your profile pic it looks like your axies are on gravel....unless I'm just seeing things that's not good for them especially when they are little like you will eventually have

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1