Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blackworms living in substrate

justbeyondthe

Reaction score
I had a friend in the hobby tell me blackworms can live and breed in a persons substrate for a small period of time, is this correct in more than one persons experience?

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know about the breeding but I have had black worms live in the tank for months. I like when this happens as it gives the newts a constant source of food but they have to hunt for (so kind of like enrichment).

Black worms will increase your bio load so be sure to monitor your ammonia and nitrites weekly.

Best of luck!

HJ

tipnatee

Reaction score
That's how I cultivating my black worms tank in substrate sand with good oxygen and with correct food and enough good bacteria you'll have your self a black worm mini farm. I also add the black worms in axolotl tank in substrate sand the same way, so my axolotl can dig up and eat while the worms can stay alive for month with out causing any problem ( my axolotl eat them up faster than that so I just need to add more worms back in) . Of cause in axolotl tank I alway monitoring water condition so there will be no ammonia spike. With live black worms there're always food available for my axie . Hunting for food is a great exercise. But watching them digging like A beagle looking for a lost bone in the back yard does make me giggle every time I see it. :cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!