Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are my babies eating.. very scared!

blashnet

Reaction score
Right i recently purchased some axolotl eggs (6) they are hatched. Everyday i put quite alot of brine shrimp into the encosure. But i do not see any of the axolotls eat them. Today i found alot of brine shrimp dead on the tank floor. Any ideas if they are eating or how to solve my problem? i don't want to loose any :(

daniellog

Reaction score
The brine shrimp is what you have hatched and is alive? they do lots of little jumps when they eat, and their stomachs should be as wide as their heads and be orange when full of baby brine shrimp.

blashnet

Reaction score
The brine shrimp is what you have hatched and is alive? they do lots of little jumps when they eat, and their stomachs should be as wide as their heads and be orange when full of baby brine shrimp.

no they are thin. how can i get them to eat? :(and yeah th brine shrimp had hatched.

Last edited:

daniellog

Reaction score
Have the babies only just hatched out of the eggs? How are you hatching the brine shrimp?

daniellog

Reaction score
They should be eating them then, brine shrimp will die in freshwater after 24 hours so thats normal. This is why you have to do water changes. You are using dechlorinated water?

blashnet

Reaction score
They should be eating them then, brine shrimp will die in freshwater after 24 hours so thats normal. This is why you have to do water changes. You are using dechlorinated water?
i change water, then leave a jug of water for 1 day then change it.

About 1 hour ago i put aqua safe (dechlorinator) in a jug of water, when can i replace the axies water with this water?

daniellog

Reaction score
You should so a water change every 1-2 days, its good you are using aquasafe and that you are letting the water get to room temperature. Sounds like you are doing a good job so far, maybe its a bad batch of eggs. Can you post any good quality pictures of them possibly?

blashnet

Reaction score
You should so a water change every 1-2 days, its good you are using aquasafe and that you are letting the water get to room temperature. Sounds like you are doing a good job so far, maybe its a bad batch of eggs. Can you post any good quality pictures of them possibly?

Yeah hang on! :)

blashnet

Reaction score

daniellog

Reaction score
They look like they have although I can't say for sure. Just feed them again with lots of baby brine shrimp and look for them doing little jumps.

daniellog

Reaction score
I just get a turkey baster, turn off the air pump in the hatchery and let it settle, then suck up a lot of brine shrimp from the bottom of the hatchery and into a little container and then pour it into the container where the axies are. Some people do this but then pour them into some dechlorinated water, the shine a light on them and suck them up again to get rid of the salt.

daniellog

Reaction score
As long as you are putting loads of freshly hatched brine shrimp in there with them then it should be fine.

shoegal

Reaction score
I fed my 100 new hatched baby axies live daphnia, and they thrived. The benefit of using daphnia is that they live naturally in fresh water (unlike brine shrimp), so they stay alive longer than 24 hrs. Thus you have less dead food debris that can potentially foul the water.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
I had my babies in individual containers. Initially (the stage you're at), I had only about 250 mL of water in each container. The advantage here is that you can see each animal as an individual so you know who's eating and who isn't. Also, a small container keeps the food close to the axies so there is a much better chance for them to get the food. As the axies grew I used a larger container (1 litre). Since the animals actually eat more of the shrimp you need to put fewer shrimp in each container to get the same effect.

Obviously, the smaller containers require much more diligence in regard to water quality.

Finally, there's no concern about cannibalism amongst your axies when they're kept separately.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!