Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I've bred Ambystoma maculatum again.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I put them aquatic and leave them aquatic until either they lay eggs or they've been in there for 2 days, which ever comes first. If they don't lay within those 2 days then I put them back terrestrial and then try again in 2 or 3 weeks.

Wolferic

Reaction score
Did you happen to get any more pics of the little guys during growth? Like Larva development and all that stages of it.. the growth of their feet that sort of thing?

T

t0astiez

Congratulations! Keep us updated. :)
I love the George Carlin quote in your signature as well. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

cfirment

Reaction score
Once the eggs were laid did you keep the water at a cool temperature for any amount of time or allow it to warm. If so what was the approximate final temperature (at hatching)?

Vort

Reaction score
Once the eggs were laid did you keep the water at a cool temperature for any amount of time or allow it to warm. If so what was the approximate final temperature (at hatching)?
I too, would like to know this, if I ever can find a male A. Maculatum, I would really love to breed them, and just ambystomatids in general.
+1 to the bringing more CB animals into the hobby as well, makes me feel so great that people are and can do this.

Nshepard

Reaction score
Very cool. I recently found and collected an amelanistic one (very nice specimen, very clean look) and have been theorizing with the guys at work about how to captive breed it out. Thanks for presenting a possible way!

SkinksGalore77

Reaction score
Wow thats awesome! congradulations. I have been thinking about starting to breed my spotted sallies. When you put them in the 20gal tank do you give them any land or is it a fully aquatic tank.

ACF

Reaction score
Hi Justin,

Can you give me an idea of how fast your critters grow? How big are they now? (length)
The ones we have here were hatched this past spring. I'm letting the self feed on small bugs - mostly pillbugs and tiny worms. There are too many to hand feed. They
have nice round bellies but I have no reference for healthy growth rates.

JTinker92

Reaction score
does this look like one of the spotted larva

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 535
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!