Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Do newts yawn?

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
So, like the title says, do newts yawn? I was stalking my newts with my dads camera and through the lens, Napoleon opened his mouth suddenly almost as if he was yawning. I was testing out the cameras other settings so it wasn't the best setting but I do have a picture. Its got a blue tint over all though... Needless to say, I was in a rush and had no time to change the setting and am a little upset about the blueness of it. Anybody know any programs I could use to fix the color? Anyway, here is the picture!

Attachments

• DSC_0232-1.jpg
    DSC_0232-1.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 924

frogman

Reaction score
My newts yawn all the time. Usually they are shedding. Here are some of my axolotl.

(In the last one he seems to be saying WOW!)

Attachments

• CIMG5490.jpg
    CIMG5490.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 62,519
  • CIMG5626.jpg
    CIMG5626.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,516
  • CIMG5525.jpg
    CIMG5525.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 10,792

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've only caught mine yawning a couple times. It's always a little disconcerting to see down the Tunnel of Doom.

peter5930

Reaction score
I quite like the blue tint. I've seen mine yawning plenty of times, but I'd always wondered why they did it; shedding makes sense.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Almost any photo editing software would allow you to correct the color. I use photoshop, don't know what else is available.

noodlenoo

Reaction score
My newts yawn often when they finish a meal. I wonder if it's actually more of a burp and a way to let out some air that they took in while feeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1