Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding newts with earthworm is risky ?

ReptileLover

Reaction score
Some fish portals say " not use earthworms as a live food because they can be got a parasites "
is that true they have a parasites ?
i want to feed my newts with earthworms I'm planning to buy 50 earthworms if it's risky I will continue to daphnia
thanks for answers
sorry about my English

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My animals are fed mostly on live earthworm, some are purchased from an on line seller, but the bulk are fed from my garden's compost heap. I suppose there are risks that these may carry parasites, but in some cases parasites may be beneficial to an animal. I've yet to see any indication that my animals have become unwell from eating earthworms. I'd keep an eye on your animals and monitor.

ReptileLover

Reaction score
Thanks but I got one more question
some people putting earthworms to water about 10 hours they say "its need to vomit to soil "
is that truly needed or just give the newts?
sorry about English
and Thanks again

ntny

Reaction score
i just chopped them up into smaller 1-2 inch size and feed my newts.
i always make sure they ate all of them in the same day to avoid pollution.
another thing i always gut load earthworms, mealworms with some pallet
i used Zoomed aquatic turtle pallet and Hikari sinking pallet. they contain good calcium and vitamin D3 and beta carotene contents.
cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1