Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. viridescens louisianensis sexing help/tips?

Ekmanor

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently acquired a trio of newts off of eBay that were listed as central newts, I got them with the intent to keep as pets and hopefully be able to breed them in the future. I have been doing my research and they seem fairly simple to breed but caring for the young seems like a bit more of a challenge. (If anyone has tips for breeding and caring for young please let me know!) Before I attempt to breed them I need to make sure I have at least one male and one female, for obvious reasons. I’ll post pics of each individual newt this afternoon, thanks.

Ekmanor

Reaction score
Pics (sorry they are so bad, any suggestions for angles of pics or whatever?) https://imgur.com/a/2wJEXIe

I'd rather not take any more pics anytime soon, at least not pics that require me to hold them- the process seemed pretty stressful for at least one for obvious reasons.

Lertsch

Reaction score
1st 1 looks like female and 2nd a male. In the future if you need to handle them holding them by the base of the tail is easier and i think less stressful for them, but your inclination to avoid handling them is spot on

Ekmanor

Reaction score
1st 1 looks like female and 2nd a male. In the future if you need to handle them holding them by the base of the tail is easier and i think less stressful for them, but your inclination to avoid handling them is spot on

Thanks for your help! They are currently being fed a mix of frozen bloodworms and chopped earthworms, I’m getting some elodea later today to see if that will start some egg laying. Thanks again!

Ekmanor

Reaction score
Welp, they’ve shown no interest in the plants, however they are eating frozen bloodworms like crazy! Perhaps elodea wasn’t/isn’t the best plant for egg laying. Any suggestions for plants or techniques? Also, would lowering the temp of the tank help any? It’s currently around 60f and I’m guessing that lowering the temp for awhile might simulate winter? I’ve read it isn’t necessary for this species to change temps to start mating, but it might be worth a shot. Any ideas?

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
They will breed when there ready and you will have your hands full. Rocks,Christmas moss/ java moss and drift wood is what my newts in joy. Cant tell from pictures but if they are male and female it's very easy to tell difference. female is almost twice the male size when mature. When breeding the males tall gets taller so he swims better back legs get bigger and black markings on iner legs by man parts.

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
When they breed its nice and rough. He grabs her around the neck thrashing her around violently holds her under water for several hours. Then soon enough within a few months time 300 eggs. Mom and dad eat eggs and baby's they become professional baby killers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1