Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tail color in male Paramesotritons

thera

Veterinarian
Reaction score
does anyone have any information on the significance of the tail coloration on paramesotriton males? I've noticed they often develop a blue/purple color, sometimes with dark black in it too. I've also noticed in my chinensis that the more dominant male always has more blue/purple than his subordinants. I don't know if this is related or not since out of 3 males I cannot makes a good scientific analysis. Does anyone know if there has been idea research done on this at all? Has anyone witnessed such coloration in their males and considered the significance? Seems strange to have a blue tail if you can't see in color.

C

chris

One of my male (Ido not know what species) has a fainter stripe than the other, but the one with the more vivid stripe often backs away from the one with the fainter stripe. I do not know if they are the same species, though - they were sold to me as a breeding pair of paddletail newts!
PS. Does anyone have any info on identifying each species. Also does anyone have any female warties?

K

kai

Hi Thera, the bluish coloration seems to be a sign that they (the males) are in breeding mood. I have no idea wether Chris' observations are an exception to the rule or rather based on different species.

Chris, many Paramesotriton are difficult to identify (even for experienced people) - much more taxonomic work is badly needed...

Best wishes,
kai

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!