Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dark spots!! What is this???

F

felipe

Hi, I have a grey tiger salamander (A. tigrinum utahensis) and today I saw some strange little dark spots under the belly and the tail that wasnt there a few weeks ago!! What is this?? What it can be??? Help!!!!

F

felipe

Sure! this is his tail!
52656.jpg

F

felipe

I am very worried about him! If someone could help me I would be happy! Please, anyone knows it?

J

jennifer

You mean the brown (not black) spots? It does not look like a disease to me. Is the animal otherwise looking health and eating? Does he have a terrestrial (non-aquatic) setup?

Did the salamander go through metamorphosis recently? If so, maybe his colors are still developing.

A

alexandra

Hi, I don't have any experience with your species of newt, but a little while ago one of my T.grans developed strange black spots all over his dorsum.
I was very worried and thought it may be parasites. A couple of people on this forum advised me to wait until the next shed before medicating.
I was very glad for the advice. It turned out that all the spots disappeared after the shed. In the meantime I have heard from another person who has worked with T.grans for many years that it is a normal phenomenon. Perhaps it is something similar with your tiger salamander but again, I am not versed in this species and I would suggest you get another opinion.
Here is a link to the message and picture I posted in regards to the spots: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/7/51432.html?1137113526

F

felipe

Yes, I mean the brown spots!Cant it be fungus? He is almost old... I dont know exactly, because a friend give it to me after two years of keeping the poor tiger in a aquatic setup! Now he is in a correct terrestrial setup! (a very good looking one...) He is looking a little lazy, but eat very well!! And its too hot here in Brazil! And once again, sorry for the poor english!

J

jennifer

I don't know what is causing it, but it does not look like fungus to me. To help keep him cool, move the tank to the floor in the coolest room you have. You could even put a frozen bottle of water in one corner of the tank a couple of times each day until the weather cools down.

F

felipe

The spots stop to grow, but they do not desapear or become smaller.... there is some kind of salamander desease with this spots??? Thanks!

J

joan

Felipe, I really don't think it's fungus, and I doubt it's anything you have to worry about. I agree with Jeff, it looks like normal coloration changes to me. Caudates will often change color as they age. My Triturus came to me with pure orange bellies, now they all have large black spots, which is normal coloration. These also may go away after he sheds. I know my Taricha get black spots all over them just before they shed. I doubt it's anything to worry about.

F

felipe

He sheds twice per week! I'm starting to acept the spots... it may be nothing... and thanks!!!

J

joan

Twice a week is excessive. Didn't you say you put him on something like palm fiber substrate? Maybe this is not good on his skin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1