Past few days I have noticed tiny small dark brown spots on my Eatern Newt.

R

rachel

Hi I am
new.gif
!

This is my first time to own a Newt. I got one about 3 weeks ago. Over the past few days I have noticed tiny dark brown spots have appeared on her, mostly on her head. Anyone know what that is?

Also, I have only actually seen her eat once. I feed her brine shrimp. (she doesn't pay attention to crickets or worms, or the shrimp for that matter) I guess I expect her to gulp it down like she did the first time but maybe she was just really hungry. Lately, when I feed her she seems to ignore it but I'm thinking maybe she eats later when I'm not looking. It's hard to tell how much she's actually eaten when I clean her water. Aren't newts known for being "slow eaters"?

What is the perfect temp for the water (for an Eastern Newt)? It is always at 72-74 and I am thinking of letting ice drip in her tank to cool it off.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
wink.gif

I'm confused - your photo and profile say Western newt (Taricha) but your post says Eastern. If it is a Taricha, it's common for dark spots to appear on them, I don't know why.

How often are you feeding her?

I thought it was an eastern newt but then I found out it was actually a western newt from all the photos I have seen. I guess the pet shop was wrong. Anyway, after trying crickets, red wigglers and brine shrimp I have now found out that she prefers bloodworms. Gave it to her last week and she gobbled it up! I feed her about twice a week.

I think i am having the same problem with my taricha granulosa, he seems to be changing from a dark brown to light brown, and I am worried and confused. He never seems to eat either, but doesn't get skinny. And from what I have noticed, when he eats, he seems to eat in private, or loses the food. I have been told newts are "pretty dumb" when it comes to food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back