The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
IndiaHawker

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: IndiaHawker has shown reliable knowledge
Default Would like to start keeping newts!

Hi, I'd really like to start keeping newts so I've come here to get the best information I can beforehand! Nice to meet you and I hope you'll bear with my current newbishness

Firstly: What's the best way to go about sourcing my newts? I've heard previously that buying fish online can be less stressful for them as it cuts out the middleman, plus the obvious convenience - but if this is not the same for newts, or if I was misinformed, I'll obviously reconsider that. Besides looking online I haven't been able to find a great deal of newt choices anyway. Otherwise are there many good expos in the UK? I like in South-East England. Or any reputable pet shops that stock a variety of newts?

Before I go any further I'd like to decide for sure on which species I would buy so I can do more research into that specific breed before owning them. Can anyone recommend some of the best and more widely-available newt species for first-time keepers?

Help really appreciated - please and thank you!

IndiaHawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Would like to start keeping newts!

If you are worried about ordering online or through a local pet store, you could always buy them from another member of this site. I’ve heard only good things about the newts and salamanders sold from this website. Although, I personally have never had an interest in keeping newts. They are certainly fascinating, but seem much higher maintenance than the Ambystoma mavoritum I keep.
I’m not sure how available they are in the UK, but I have heard Firebellly newts and eastern newts are the ideal beginner newts.

RoreyRoreyRorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
IndiaHawker

Nationality:
Rep: IndiaHawker has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoreyRoreyRorey View Post
If you are worried about ordering online or through a local pet store, you could always buy them from another member of this site. Iíve heard only good things about the newts and salamanders sold from this website. Although, I personally have never had an interest in keeping newts. They are certainly fascinating, but seem much higher maintenance than the Ambystoma mavoritum I keep.
Iím not sure how available they are in the UK, but I have heard Firebellly newts and eastern newts are the ideal beginner newts.
Thanks for the reply! Awesome to know that people on here sell them, although I signed up a while back I'm mostly new to here so still learning, will definitely look into that! The Ambystoma mavoritum is beautiful! I've just always had a fascination with newts - I know most are semi-aquatic and I love the idea of setting up a tank in that way, plus there's just something I've always loved about them. Currently lucky enough to be able to watch a family of Great Cresteds in the pond at work but can't wait to be able to look after my own!

IndiaHawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has shown reliable knowledge

Oh you are so lucky to see that! Up here in the mountains, the only amphibians get to see are the occasional Tiger Salamanders lumbering around the yard.
Newts certainly are fascinating! I always thought it was so peculiar how they started off aquatic, became terrestrial for a while, and then go back to being aquatic? And sometimes they just randomly go from aquatic to terrestrial? I would love to keep a newt, but I would not be able to take as good of care as needed.

If you want to look for newts for sale on this site, under the forum index there is a For Sale, For Trade, Giveaway to a Good Home section. I believe when I was looking through the UK section the other day, I saw someone giving away marbled newts? In my opinion, that section of the website is one of the very best places to get a newt or salamander from, because the people are breeders or keepers of them and they make sure they are healthy, while some sites, like backwaterreptiles, have bad reputations for not ensuring the wellbeing of their animals.
I wish you look in your search for a good newt, hopefully you can find an easy species nearby!

RoreyRoreyRorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #5
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

It's newt breeding season ATM in the UK so there should be a decent availability in a few months. As a starter species I would recommend ribbed and Alpine newts both of which should be available UK cb. Other species to consider are T.verrucosus and marbled newts