Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Transporting axolotls in the car

christinalotl

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm about to move back home for the summer, and I have 3 juvenile axolotls to move with me. I will be driving in the car for about 4.5 hours, and I was wondering what the best way to transport the axolotls would be. I've heard that big tupperware in a cooler is a good option, but would I need to punch holes in the lids of the tupperware for there to be enough oxygen? Also, should any ice/icepacks go in the cooler?

Thank you so much in advance for the advice! :)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I would recommend using the same method as shipping.
Use a big thick bags (like the ones in pet stores to transport aquatic animals), half fill with tank water (maybe a bit more, not exactly sure of the water/air ratio). One bag for each axolotl. Put the bags in a cooler (a styrofoam box is good) and fill the space with newspaper so the bags don't move. Ice blocks (or frozen bottle) can go under the bags or on the sides, but buff it with newspaper so it isn't too cold. They should be okay for a few hours.
I think before transporting you aren't meant to feed them so they don't poop in the water, but since it's a short trip it may be okay. Someone who has done it before may be able to clarify :)

smoteymote

Reaction score
I'll be dealing with a 10 hour drive from Ohio to NC in the heat of the summer. Not looking forward to that.

I'm going to highly recommend NOT putting tank water in the bags when moving though. Just clean, treated water - or even bottled spring water. You want to negate any ammonia there might already be. It's the same concept as tubbing except they're in a baggie.

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
I'll be dealing with a 10 hour drive from Ohio to NC in the heat of the summer. Not looking forward to that.

I'm going to highly recommend NOT putting tank water in the bags when moving though. Just clean, treated water - or even bottled spring water. You want to negate any ammonia there might already be. It's the same concept as tubbing except they're in a baggie.

Cycled and established tank will NOT have any ammonia in it... just sayn.

Cars have AC that can maintain temperature..., 4 or 10 hours is not a lot of time.

If you are worried that much go buy one of those 10usd battery air pumps from local store it will keep your axie well aerated for duration of trip. Get a decent size plastic container and one of those portable cheap plastic cooler boxes, if heat is that much of your concern. Put container in cooler box , add the pump for oxigen and make sure your temperature is alright in it.

Done.

Hayleyy

Reaction score

I was assuming the tank was cycled, so no ammonia lol. If there is any ammonia in your tank of course use treated clean water.

Biev

Reaction score
I second the not feeding them the day before recommendation. They always seem to poop the moment you bag them (-_-); With fish, I add a small piece of poly-filter in the bags to soak up any ammonia, but that's not really an option with axolotls. Worse come to worst, a little bit of conditioner will help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1