Pale pink gills instead of dark pink...

C

connor

My axies gills,like in my display pic,are a paley pink instead of a deep dark pink like i see in Lorie's pics
Is this stress,if i feed them loadsa bloodworm will that make it deeper? Why is it like this? IS it just Moonbeams natural colour?

Pale pink is usually when they're inactive or asleep. Feeding loads of bloodworm doesn't make the colour deeper. You may notice the colour deepening at different times of the day/night, when they're moving round/swimming or eating they can go pinker/redder. Ours when younger had pink gills and gills have gotten deeper/darker colour as they matured. My sisters young leucs have pink gills that go a slightly deeper shade when they're swallowing their food.

Yes my mudpuppy is the same way. During the day a lot of the red goes out of the gills because she isn't active but at night they brighten up.
I suppose this is the same for all externaly gilled amphibians.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back