The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
SmolAxolotl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SmolAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl throwing up food from 24 hrs ago

Hello! I just got my first axolotl about a week ago. Heís about 4-5 in long, and I fed him a cut up night crawler on Thursday afternoon. Friday evening I gave him three small carnivore pellets, soaked. And then about 24 hours ago, Sunday afternoon I gave him another worm cut up. When I came in to check on him today, he was fine. Iíve cleaned up his poop the last three days, I donít think anything unusual. Then suddenly, about fifteen minutes later, he just starts expelling whole pieces of worm and I think a pellet? He started floating and retching for several minutes before settling down. Heís now at the bottom just kinda hanging out, but Iím concerned. I researched how often to feed young axolotl and saw conflicting reports, perhaps I over fed him or need a better schedule. Regardless, Iím kinda worried about him now and any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

SmolAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Kitan

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 1
Rep: Kitan has given good advice and informationKitan has given good advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl throwing up food from 24 hrs ago

It isnt how often you are feeding him. If he still has pellets in his belly and is regurgitating food, he isnt able to digest it. Poops are good because that means it probably isnt impaction. Could be stress or illness. Given that you have only had him a week, can I ask what your water parameters\temperature are?

Kitan is online now   Reply With Quote