The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
jstral327

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jstral327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fungus/gill deterioration

Hi everyone!
I just got these guys a little while ago and am new to caring for axies. I have four in total in a 55 gallon tank. They've all been great up until about a week ago when I noticed that two of them seemed to not be growing well, and they're gills had been deteriorating. I added a bubbler and got a much better filter after that. The flow is minimal, not even enough to see on the plants, I usually keep the light off too. But about a week ago, they all started having issues with what looks like fungus. I've started salt baths to try and help. They've also lost most of their appetite.

I have been feeding them bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp, all in frozen cube form. I recently started trying to feed them red wigglers, but almost without fail, they puke that up along with whatever is in their stomach when I feed them those.

I check the water conditions daily.
Amonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Hardness: 300 Very Hard
Clorine: 0
Alkalinity: 120-180
pH: 7.6-8.4
Temp: 16-20C

I perform a 20% water change about every 2-3 days (depends on how dirty the tank gets), and a 50% every 2 weeks or so. I use Seachem Prime for the dechlorination, but that is it as far as chemicals go. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and why this is happening? I have a few pictures showing the issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200212_092146[1].jpg
Views:	3
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	56427   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_154835[1].jpg
Views:	4
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	56428   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200212_091330[1].jpg
Views:	4
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	56429  

jstral327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Murk

Nationality:
Rep: Murk has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Fungus/gill deterioration

The Big One that is missing is your Nitrite values. With 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate, you either have a very well cycled tank - or a tank that isn't cycled at all (possibly in the midst of a nitrite spike). That would explain the problem with the gills.

It is difficult to diagnose, because regular salt baths are bound to destroy gills and appetite as well. Salt baths are horrible for axolotls. They're not as horrible as dying of fungus, so sometimes salt baths are the better of two evils, but salt baths aren't healthy in any way. It could very well be you rightly detected fungus (hence the deteriorating gills), treated the fungus with salt baths, and the current problems are due to the salt.

Do you still have fungus problems? I don't see anything at the pictures, but that could be me. If not, I would leave the axolotls alone for a few days - no water changes, no salt baths - and see if the appetite returns. See if you can give us Nitrite values as well.

Murk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
jstral327

Nationality:
Rep: jstral327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fungus/gill deterioration

I just started the salt baths today. I've actually been quite reluctant to do so, instead choosing to observe them and see how they fare. I only started it today because it has only gotten worse and started to spread. I've kept a very close eye on my ammonia and nitrites since the tank cycled and they haven't spiked so far as I've seen. Also, the fungus is more in the beginning. I'm honestly not even 100% sure it is fungus due to having only seen pictures. Its just a white blanket of fuzzy white spots that is hard to see. It's got a bumpy irregular appearance.

Nitrites have been at 0 also. I forgot to put it with those, my bad.

jstral327 is offline   Reply With Quote