Question: What to feed

shella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought some eggs from ebay and they are now hatching. I am freaking out lol
i planned ahead and bought brine shrimp eggs and phytoplankton to grow.
mmmmmm you tube made it look so easy.:errr: i have run out of phytoplankton trying to do cultures and the brine shrimp are not hatching
what can i feed them some of them are over 3 days they must be hungry
and can someone point me in the right direction have looked at the culture page but it does not go into the phytoplanktons

I bought daphnia for my little ones. I ordered online from reefphyto.co.uk, and they arrived quickly and in excellent condition. They also sell baby brine shrimp which might be easier for the hatchlings to eat as reefphyto's daphnia were quite big.

can someone point me in the right direction have looked at the culture page but it does not go into the phytoplanktons

Phytoplankton are microscopic plants and not a food source for axolotls which eat little animals. If some of your hatchlings are three days old they need feeding asap as they will start to starve, if your brine shrimp are not ready buy some daphnia from the pets shops, ring around first as many either dont stock it or may have run out, they are about £1 to £1.50 a bag, buy a few and start your own culture as they are very easy to breed, If you are unable to source daphnia you can use hard boiled egg yolk, this has been used succesfully a few times to raise young larvae but i only recomend it as a last resort.
This is a link for the egg yolk http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ng/81224-failure-yet-learning-experience.html

theres some brine shrimp for sale on ebay and t arrives in 2 days, heres the link:
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

the seller also sells larger amounts so it maybe worth looking at the shop the guys got on there and the prices are very reasonable.

theres some brine shrimp for sale on ebay and t arrives in 2 days, heres the link:
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

the seller also sells larger amounts so it maybe worth looking at the shop the guys got on there and the prices are very reasonable.

A lot of the brine shrimp will be too large for recently hatched larvae, you need to source baby brine shrimp, it also loses a lot of its nutritional value after a couple of days.

i am very confused i read on many sites and on you tube that to feed phytoplankton daphnia or brine shrimp so what is the best thing to feed fry.
phoned around no one is selling daphnia due to it not having a long shelf life

also looked at web site ebay link i will be buying some lets see what happens

i am very confused i read on many sites and on you tube that to feed phytoplankton daphnia or brine shrimp so what is the best thing to feed fry.
phoned around no one is selling daphnia due to it not having a long shelf life

Phytoplankton can be used to feed fish fry, you need to feed your larvae as the older ones may have depleted their yolk sac, put your county up , you may have a local caudata.org member by you with spare daphnia, failing that check out the thread i suggested or go dipping for bugs in a local pond, try to find one free of fish or amphibians as this will reduce the risk of importing disease to your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back