Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Michigan Axolotl Owners

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
Just a fellow Michigan Axolotl owner looking for others in the Michigan area to network with. I started a group ( currently a lonely group of one) but didn't know if there were any other groups just for Michigan Axolotl Owners. Nothing against our neighbors in other states.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Except those Ohioans. I have something against them. Ugh.

Just kidding. I've only got a Buckeye problem.

JessKB

Reaction score
There certainly are a lot of us here. I think we're one of the better represented states on the forum.

JessKB

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm from Ann Arbor Michigan :)

Hey Mycenaean I'm right down the road from you. Do you mind if I ask where you got your axolotls? If you got them from The Fish Doctors on Washtenaw, there's a good chance they were ones I bred.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's because of Michigan's dismal caudate diversity. We have to get our fix by coming on here.

Neotenic Jaymes, Scorpion, Urmat, my partner and I went herping the other day, and found a whopping 2 species of salamanders (redbacks and blue-spotted). When you add in frogs and snakes, we found like 5 species. Wooo! (where's that 'sarcasm' font when you need it?)

Mycenaean

Reaction score
Hey Mycenaean I'm right down the road from you. Do you mind if I ask where you got your axolotls? If you got them from The Fish Doctors on Washtenaw, there's a good chance they were ones I bred.

I got mine from a science project back in high school. Now I'm going to school at UMich. They will be moved into my summer apartment soon! :)

Is there any way to sell back some of the axolotls to cover my costs? Let me know if you have any tips.

Skilly

Reaction score
There are also shows in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo!!!

:D

wooot wooot for Michiganders

Anorankh

Reaction score
Also another Michigan Axolotl owner here from Grand Rapids. We *very* recently started getting Axis over here from a breeder at blue fish aquarium and VIP pets.

Hayden

Reaction score
I'll be a Michigander for another 2 weeks! We should all meet up for dinner or something.

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
Anyone close to Mt. Pleasant. By close I mean 10-15 minutes. I have only seen one other person on here that was in close proximity to me.

Rainy222

Reaction score
I am from MI too! :) I live in the middle of nowhere (Otisville) but I'm about 20 minutes from Flint, and an hour from Lansing.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aw Hayden! Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I defected to North Dakota where I haven't had Internet since April, otherwise I would have organized something!

Queed

Reaction score
new to axolotls and this site...just passing thru old forums and found this...i'm in gaylord mi....quite a distance from you all it seems...lol

Evil Weasel

Reaction score
I know this thread is from a while ago, but if anyone's still looking, I'm in Grand Rapids and looking for a pet axolotl, any idea where to find one? (Stores, people selling them) I do have a VI Pets by my house, should I check it out?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1