Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rana Sylvatica Color Morph?

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
So, today I was at a pond with my friend and I saw a wood frog with a cyan/teal face. It is shiny and sparkly looking. Is this a common morph? The frog itself is rather pale. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow if anyone is interested.

eyrops

Reaction score
So, today I was at a pond with my friend and I saw a wood frog with a cyan/teal face. It is shiny and sparkly looking. Is this a common morph? The frog itself is rather pale. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow if anyone is interested.

I have not seen one like that. A picture would be interesting if you can get one.

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Here it is
DSC_0355.jpg

otolith

Reaction score
That is a really beautiful wood frog, I can't say I've ever seen any like it before. Did you just go out, catch and photograph the same frog you found yesterday or are there a few with this same coloration? It is really quite striking, excellent find!

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I didn't see any others like it. She wa the only wood frog at the pond actually. Ive been keeping her in a temporary container. I may try breeding he to get more of this color. Does anyone have any tips on housing them and breeding?

eyrops

Reaction score
Wood frogs hibernate on land, and actually partially freeze sometimes. In the Spring they spawn early. I have not tried to breed them, but I would think those things would be a starting point.

-Steve Morse

otolith

Reaction score
Given how early in the year they breed I imagine you've already missed the window for this year. I think this would be a pretty difficult species to breed in captivity, I have not heard of anyone attempting to do it before. Might be better off letting it go to do her own thing in the wild, it would be pretty great to find more like her in the future!

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
My concern with the winter thing later in the year would be me accidentally freezing her to death. I would like to try to breed her. I wouldn't think temperatures would have to get that low all the time. Would they? I mean, with eastern newts, they just need to go through a coolig period. The water they are in never completely freezes like during the winter. Just because it hasnt been done before gives me that much more reason to want to try to do it. I'm really at a loss here on wether I should try breeding, or release her. If I release her, something could eat her, she might get hit by a car, or I just might not see her again in my entire life. If I keep her though, I may be unsuccessful breeding and take a beautiful frog out of the breedin population.

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
And the other thing is that she was in a pond by the woods. these woods are going to be ruined and 88 houses are going to be going in back there. So here home is going to be destroyed as well.

eyrops

Reaction score
It's definitely past breeding season for this year. If you do keep the frog and did try a cold period next winter, I would suggest stopping short of actually freezing the frog.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
That is a green frog, Rana clamitans melanota. The greenish face is normal. They are one of the most resilient frog species, and may survive in the development if any open water remains.

Tim

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I dont mean to sound rude, but I don't think this is a normal color. I've never seen one like that. I don't think it's a green frog either, it doesn't have the same body structure. Besides, the "blue" green frogs I've seen online have almost their whole body blue. Not just the area on the face. The color is very well defined like the black area on a wood frogs face. I'm no frog expert though but in my opinion, it really looks like a wood frog more than a green frog.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
It could be lacking some yellow pigment, which would make the green patch look bluer. Look closely at the rounder shape of the head, rougher texture of skin, shape of the dorsolateral folds, color of the eyes, etc. and it will help you distinguish it from sylvatica. Young green frogs like this one usually just have green on the lips. You'll also notice that the blue "mask" is in the wrong place for it to be the mask of a wood frog (which covers the tympanum).

Check out amphibiaweb for comparison photos:
Rana sylvatica

otolith

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with taherman. After comparing pictures more closely it looks a lot more like a pale pigmented green frog than a wood frog.

eyrops

Reaction score

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Ok, well now I do see what you mean. Sorry, you're right. So then this year since green frogs haven't need yet I could breed her this year.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
From the photo I would guess that is a fairly young animal, so it probably isn't yet sexually mature. It might need a year or two of growth first.

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Well this is terrible news :( the frog died. The water must have gotten too warm. I feel sooo awful. Why can't a frog stand slightly warmer temperatures but it's no problem surviving freezing cold winter? I just feel so awful. I cant begin to explain how awful I feel.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1