Question: Oily build-up on water surface, is this bad?

AxieTails

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive always had an odd substance on the surface of the water of my axolotls tank. Lately the substance has looked different (less transparent) and i was wondering if this substance is bad for my axie. Also where does it come from, and if i should, how should i get rid of it?
any advice is welcome

Attachments

• 150197461479331721156.jpg
    150197461479331721156.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 204
This isn't uncommon. Possibly resulting from partial lipid breakdown from organic matter e.g. uneaten food or decaying plant. I get it on one tank but not the others. I either skim it off during water changes being careful not to mix it about too much or gently dragging a cloth over the surface. It'll return within 24 hours. Whilst break down of any organic material will result in changes in water quality such a layer could impact the diffusion of gases both oxygen into solution and carbon dioxide out. Nitrifying bacteria etc can deal with small amounts if given the opportunity by increasing surface water agitation or passage through the biological components of your filter.

I have used a cup to skim the surface of the water a few times so I'll make sure to do that more often. Thank you for the help.

I used to get it really bad on my tank. A bubble bar with suction cups that I positioned near the surface helped a lot. I put it near the surface cuz my axie didn't seem to like the bubbles too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back